Search the forum,

Discuss Am I right or wrong? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

best thing with twin and earth - easy to strip it by pulling on the earth. important when second fixing larger jobs when you have tens of end to do. i would cut myself at some point if had to do all with a knife.

they are amongst us. time the OP put a few charged capacitors in his "mentor's" tool box/bag.

As for the twin and cpc i was taught at college and by the guy i worked with not to snip the end and pull the cpc to strip it, i was taught this will reduce the csa of the cpc ("apparently") so the way i was taught was to gently score around the twin and cpc with a knife then push the knife down the middle of the cable then break the sheaving off it makes it a very nice clean end to the sheaving.

Yes I have heard some Sparks frown upon pulling on the cpc for fear of stretching it. However there is an argument that the force needed to pull it through the sheath is not enough to stretch it though, at least for sheath of 1 to 2.5 mm cables. With 4mm and larger, I guess it would be easy enough to score or cut with knife instead.

If you score round the twin & earth with a knife, it is quite easy (if the knife is sharp) to cut into the insulation on the inner conductors.

A year or two back, I came across an RCD tripping fault caused by exactly this on an outdoor cable - tiny knife cuts into the inner insulation, which where sitting in a damp junction box (supposedly weatherproof, but not quite). This fault was on SWA inner cores, but same could apply to T&E. From then onwards, I never score round with a knife, and would rather have a less tidy cut that I know doesn't compromise the cable insulation.

I was also given that reason for not using the CPC to Strip T&E because it stretches it. Did you do your Training in Hull? Was it Mally Leach who told you that pearl of wisdom?

...Utter rubbish...i would ask him to provide "proof",as is the function,of an instructor or teacher,and would provide him with a selection of cable,and a micrometer to demonstrate.

I would accept his apology,and top-up his knowledge,regarding metallurgy.

Many years ago,i was involved in the design of a stripping tool,specifically for T&E. It was self adjusting,for the 1-2.5mm range,similar in principle to the small Thomas Betts tool.

The one piece of advice,which i took off a retired spark,was,when i asked "Why wouldn't folk use it?" he replied "...Because its' easier not to..."

...which is why i never got to bore you all,on dragons' den :D

Reply to Am I right or wrong? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net