Search the forum,

Discuss TradeSkills4U Feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think a lot of firms who take on apprentices would prefer a 34 year old to a 21 year old who might be skiving off a bit with hangover and whatnot. 34 is young.

Might be hard right now to find apprenticeships but see what you can find out in your area matey.

Can always put a request in the looking for work forum. And also monitor the work up for grabs forum (you can click to subscribe to new threads posted in there to get notified of work going).
I had a conversation with a spark yesterday and may have secured a role as a mate installing EV Chargers :)

Hello all, first post, joined the forum today.

My name is Lee, I am 34 years old and hopefully about to embark on a career change.

Having spent the last 10 years of my life in white collar office type roles I have taken the plunge to invest in my future by starting to train for a career in Domestic Installation. In January I will be starting their Advanced Domestic Electrician Course (23 days): C&G 4141-01 Electrical Installation Domestic Dwelling > C&G 2393 Part P & Regs > C&G 2392-10 Inspection & Testing > C&G 2382 Wiring Regs > Advanced Top Up.

Whilst I am under no illusion I will be able to walk out of that classroom in February and rewire a house, my long term goal is to work for myself.

In the meantime I am wondering if at my age it is wise to look for an apprenticeship type position with a local sparky for a couple of years rather than trying to undertake non notifiable domestic work whilst I build my confidence.

Is there a stigma attached to older apprentices? or is there an abundance of school leavers leaving no room?
Hi Lee,

I am in a very similar position to yourself (36 yo) and i am looking to start a course at some point this year hopefully, depending on if i get a C&G bursary. Will even look to work for free on weekends if anyone will have me haha basically i dont think its too old at all to begin an apprenticeship and being a little older and wiser might even be seen as a better bet. let us know how you get on with your course and progress from that point on.

Hi Lee,

I am in a very similar position to yourself (36 yo) and i am looking to start a course at some point this year hopefully, depending on if i get a C&G bursary. Will even look to work for free on weekends if anyone will have me haha basically i dont think its too old at all to begin an apprenticeship and being a little older and wiser might even be seen as a better bet. let us know how you get on with your course and progress from that point on.
Just PM’d you mate...

really happy with the course so far...

feel pretty confident RE basic installs (IN PERFECT CONDITIONS)

if you really want to get the most out of these courses you need to have a passion for further learning.

You are taught everything as advertised but it’s like learning to drive...you/I will learn far more once you/I are on the tools after you have completed the course.

I have become pretty engrossed with the theory side... I’d recommend you spend an hour with your head in the Regs books and OSG for every hour you spend in a classroom/e learning.

What is a reasonable expectation for finding work after completing the C&G 2365 lvl 2 and 3 course?

From what I understand there are a few door that open. Obviously finding an apprenticeship is the best route to a career, with volunteering time to gain experience on the tools and knowing or finding someone willing to take you on as a trainee other good options.

Would I be able to apply for work as an Electricians Mate with no prior experience if I find the right opening? Or is there a general expectation that to apply for a job role I would have onsite experience beforehand?

Who just wants to do a 'Domestic installer " course and stick with the work available that falls under this scheme ? Thinking of doing this to just cover kitchen install work , Consumer boards and lighting .No real further dreams to expand more etc !

Who just wants to do a 'Domestic installer " course and stick with the work available that falls under this scheme ? Thinking of doing this to just cover kitchen install work , Consumer boards and lighting .No real further dreams to expand more etc !

This is exactly my position.

I personally only want to do domestic work.

Reply to TradeSkills4U Feedback in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net