10mm T&E 9.5kw shower loads of new insulation | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 10mm T&E 9.5kw shower loads of new insulation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

leolec

Come across this twice now - what's everyone doing with this I'm advising my customer it should be a bigger cable but it the old well it seems to work ok

IMO if your running T + E the only way you will get compliance with the regs is Method C clipped direct, as that will give you 47 amps for 6mm^

Even at 240v which most showers are rated at it will still be 39.5amps so I would fit a 10mm

I think what I'll try to do is get the cable down to the bottom put some tile lathe in an clip it to that even so its still only method 101

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the breaker size is suitable for the ccc of the cable (after de-rating factors have been applied) then all is well. They'll soon give you a call if the breaker starts tripping! Depending on the route, sometimes you can get away with a 6.0mm on a 40A breaker..

If it's reference method C you's actually get away with a 45A breaker on 6mm.

The 10mm in insulation, though, could you wrap trunking aroung the cable where it comes into contact with the insulation? Arguably then you could call that method A, and you'd get 43A out of it. 9.5KW at 230 is about 41 and a half amps, which you miught JUST get away with on a 40A breaker, but showers tend to be rated at 240 which would give you about 39 and a half, which should be fine for cable and breaker.

Never understoof why 12 and 14 aren't readily available, I guess there's just been no market for them, but with the ever increasing power of showers (you want it HOW hot?) I reckon we may see it on the scene before long...

EDIT Malcom said it better first time round.... dammit!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 10mm T&E 9.5kw shower loads of new insulation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

Being pedantic, the Crabtree 50A cooker switch is a 4500/1, which has 'cooker' printed on it. For a shower, you require the 4500, which is the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
BS3871 type 3's have a similar shaped operating curve to BS60898 type C's. Any fault that will meet the disconnection time of 5s (for 63A...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back