13A and 16A sockets on the same 20A radial. OK or not? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 13A and 16A sockets on the same 20A radial. OK or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
I’ve just had a ‘robust exchange of views’ :) with a visiting engineer about the 16A sockets in my workshop. These, together with local 13A sockets, are run from radials in 2.5mm, protected by 20A RCBOs.

I say it’s fine to have say a couple of 16A interlocked sockets, and lots of 13A doubles on each radial.

See pictures below: All the sockets in each picture are on the same individual radial (Ignore the 3P socket and the drill supply).

The visitor insisted you must have a separate circuit for 16A sockets, protected at 16A.

I say that’s rubbish, as the protection in this case is rated to the cable CCA and length, and 20A max is fine for 16A sockets as 16A plugs are not fitted to equipment which draws more than this.

All is under the supervision of trained personnel. Care is taken with load balancing as the supply in this remote building is limited to 20A per phase anyway.

Who is right?

[ElectriciansForums.net] 13A and 16A sockets on the same 20A radial. OK or not?

[ElectriciansForums.net] 13A and 16A sockets on the same 20A radial. OK or not?

... My biggest concern is how clean and tidy that workshop is, that can't be healthy.
Ha Ha! It was not always thus.

Now I'm semi-retired I rent the workshop out as a sideline. So it has to be nice and tidy, to aerospace/military standards: Mop the floor, polish the bloody sockets, clean the tops of the doors and so on ...

I used to have six work tables, all of which gradually got covered with works-in-progress in a total mess and there was never anywhere to put anything down. So to solve this, I didn't get rid of the works-in-progress, I got rid of the tables. Reduced to two. So I now have to put stuff away properly, in nicely-labelled boxes in the tool room.

Which means, of course, that I can no longer find anything! :)

What would be the advantage over an already compliant circuit which is apparently in service without issue?
Explain please.
I don't believe that how it is wired now makes it a standard final circuit as [er BS 7671, that's my opinion. like you Davesparks disagrees with me. that's OL we all have our opinions.

I don't believe that how it is wired now makes it a standard final circuit as [er BS 7671, that's my opinion. like you Davesparks disagrees with me. that's OL we all have our opinions.
An indication of where the trade has gone wrong, sharp intake of breath, shake of the head, no engineering judgement. Got a box to tick so it'll have to be ripped out and rewired Sir.
Just my opinion.

An indication of where the trade has gone wrong, sharp intake of breath, shake of the head, no engineering judgement. Got a box to tick so it'll have to be ripped out and rewired Sir.
Just my opinion.
I judge it as wrong Mate
Just my opinion.
Go for it!

If I was installing it I'd do the same as you, 13a outlets either on a ring or radial, each 16a outlet on a dedicated 16a radial. But it seems pointless to change an existing installation which is compliant and working satisfactorily, really for no other reason than to tick an..... 'its not how I would do it' box.

No it isn't a 'standard final circuit' as far as it doesn't match the pretty pictures in the idiots guide exactly, But there is absolutely nothing in the regulations requiring anyone to follow the 'standard circuits'.
The regulations tell us the rules for designing circuits and give us the option of using the standard socket circuits if we wish to, there is nothing saying they must be followed.

Electricians are supposed to be technically competent people capable of designing circuits to suit an application and not just blindly follow pictures in a book.

There are no standard circuits for appliance supplies, lighting circuits or anything other than ring or radial socket circuits.

Reply to 13A and 16A sockets on the same 20A radial. OK or not? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back