13amp Fused 3 Gang Socket | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 13amp Fused 3 Gang Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

westlondont

Is a fused 13amp 3 gang socket ok as a fused spur, or do I have to use a fused connection unit?
Just asking because the regs say to use a fused connection unit when running a spur to anything other then a 1 or 2 gang socket, but a socket with a built in 13amp fuse would be the same thing imo so just wondering if it would be acceptable?

The 13A fuse only protects the 3 socket outlets. You cannot use it to add more sockets down the line, if that's what you mean.
If you are just wanting to use this as a spur off a RFC, then it's fine, as the 13A fuse is protecting all 3 outlets. Just bear in mind that the total of the 3 sockets are limited to 13A, whereas if you install a double socket you have the availability of 13A on each outlet.

Last edited:
I can understand where you're coming from with this! You will probably find that on said 3/4/6 way adaptor it says not for direct connection to the mains. If you think about it, I've never understood what point there is in those units with built in fuses, as there's still a fuse in the 13A plug regardless.

The bottom line is that they'd need to comply with BS1361 and not BS1361-3 which they're probably designed to.

Agree with guitarist, If it one like in the picture then this is fine. It is essentially an FCU with three single sockets after the fuse.
Once you have fused down then you can have as many sockets as you like after the fuse.
[ElectriciansForums.net] 13amp Fused 3 Gang Socket

Ah..... and here was me thinking more along the lines of trailing sockets!

Reply to 13amp Fused 3 Gang Socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net