195v on a domestic lighting circuit | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 195v on a domestic lighting circuit in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ianbrookes

any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

went to a job today. no upstairs lighting at all, did various tests, 240v at the CU, 195v at several of the fittings.

lighting is loop in ceiling roses/fittings, switches are line in and swl, mixture of dimmers and switches.

to bathroom fans on isolators, pullcords in bathrooms to operate lights (and assume switch fans - I couldn't test, not enough voltage)

circuit is small in length and number of fittings.

has anyone come across this before ?

242v at output of fuse in CU L-N
195V at fittings L-N
even the first fitting does not work
there is a two-way switch in the downstairs, no neutrals, just line conductors - this doesn't work for the landing light either

it must be a bad neutral somewhere, the cable is in really good shape, no signs of any degradation (what I can see anyway)

thanks to all

went to a job today. no upstairs lighting at all, did various tests, 240v at the CU, 195v at several of the fittings.

When you say "no upstairs lighting at all", do you mean that there was not enough current to light a lamp? If you are measuring this "195V" with no load on the circuit, then there's probably a break in the supply and the voltage you are measuring is a phantom or induced voltage.

What is the voltage with, say, an ordinary GLS lamp across the supply? If zero, or close, then it's a break rather than a resistive fault.

195V at fittings L-N
there is a two-way switch in the downstairs, no neutrals, just line conductors - this doesn't work for the landing light either

it must be a bad neutral somewhere, the cable is in really good shape, no signs of any degradation (what I can see anyway)

thanks to all

Well, that will tell you where to start looking for the fault on this circuit then, won't it! ...lol!!

195V at fittings L-N

thanks to all

Did you test for voltage between L-E and if you did what voltage was present?

Whats going on?!? Going to a fault with 50 volts lost and not testing between all conductors and then no IR or continuity tests?

Were you not taught this in your apprenticeship? Fault finding and rectification, spent about half my 3rd year doing it and still struggle with faults in the first few years after that.

Sounds like a break on the feed from the CU and first pendant, I try a long lead method on each conductor back to the CU and see if results are consistent between L-N and slightly higher on E if its wired in twin. If not its hammer out time!

Reply to 195v on a domestic lighting circuit in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net