2.5m T&E on a 3.9KW system? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2.5m T&E on a 3.9KW system? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Easters

Seen an install on a 3.9KW system with 2.5mm T&E but I have always used 6mm cable for a system that size and never gone below 4mm on any system. But the sparky said he was right and 2.5mm cable was right and if any one thought different they cant be a real sparky. I really want to clear this up as I would not use 2.5mm cable even for 1meter of cable.
Any help weather I am right or wrong would be really great!!

lots of threads on this already, the sparky is not being very wise in his choice of cable, he will be very lucky if he dos`nt get alot of drop out problems, and conplaints from the customer.

Two avenues to explore if you want reassurance:
- the manufacturers instructions on the quality inverters will tell you to use 4mm2 or 6mm2 (or more) giving maximum circuit lengths for each.
- the 1% calculation will rarely be satisfield with 2.5mm2 unless the inverter is right next to the consumer unit.
Regards
Bruce

To be fair, 2.5mm cable on a 3.9kWp system MAY be ok and probably will be on a short system on some inverters. Exactly why anyone would scrimp on a few metres of cable, however, is anyone's guess.

Also the fact of running 2 DC strings in 1 isolator and taking the links out I have seen as well. Or running them parallel the same isolator I have seen allot of.

Just had a quick run through on Amtech and for a 16A SP&N supply with 2.5 T&E clipped direct, the max length for vd came back at 14.44m.

Is that for 1% V drop?

Well spotted, I calculated it with the default settings. It should read 8.72m for 1% but I cant edit my post now. Just shows how tight things can be if you dont calculate things properly. I'll put a few more lengths through later and see what cable sizes come back.

Just to add a little, do those calcs take into consideration the cable going through insulation in the attic (roof or attic floor or cav wall insulation) they all drop the cable value by a fair bit

Reply to 2.5m T&E on a 3.9KW system? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

Does it really actually need earth sleeving inside the tube? I know it feels a bit bodgy but what's going to happen and isn't an unbroken...
Replies
Views
  • Question
This stuff……………….
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back