2.Amp "clock socket/outlet" issue ! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2.Amp "clock socket/outlet" issue ! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

LukeD

-
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

A little problem....
I have a 5 amp and 2 amp circuit. The 5's are fine etc

The 2.Amps use a "Clock Socket/outlet" . 4 wires , 3 connected . The 4th is grey marked live (Brown) . Nothing on the Blue and brown, 30v on the black and grey (marked brown and never connected)

I must be missing something Very simple !!

Open to been ridiculed !

Many thanks

LukeD

Going to run a new - to the nearest working 5 amp on that circuit tomorrow and see if this solves the issue.

More info needed....are they 2a lighting points serving table lights?....where are they switched from?.....How are you taking your voltage readings?..to earth?

Ok....

The circuit is controlled by a dimmer module. It feeds 3 x 5amps (All working) and 3 x 2 Amp "clock Sockets " These supply a Picture lamp and 2 x ornate Lamps in Book cases . We "Presume" all is well etc as it was a new conversion and looks like the electrician took his time and was neat etc .

Test has been done using the "common" . Have not tested to earth yet.

Thanks

LukeD

You need to establish whether you have a switched live and neutral at the 2a points....beyond that call an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to establish whether you have a switched live and neutral at the 2a points....beyond that call an electrician.
WirePuller
cheers for your time.

Its going to be hard finding someone to come out tomorrow ! AS we need to be out by 10am !

Just wondering if it could be something so simple that i have overlooked ? Do you think the idea of running a new neutral to the next working light on the circuit is a good idea?

Do you mean both Live and neutral been switched or either or etc ?

I am sure this is "User error" (me !) rather than wiring ...?

Again thanks

Ok.. Found it !!
The Caretaker of the Apartments informed me that after the wiring was done, a fitter had damaged a cable and caused a right issue with the owner who was selling . So the new owner has a "dead circuit" that i totally disconnected today to make 100% safe .

cheers

LukeD

Reply to 2.Amp "clock socket/outlet" issue ! in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net