2 way lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

k5ehn

ive took a feed to the switch at the first switch are two other lighting circuits and the 2 way. the other two lighting circuits i have no trouble with, just the two way.from the switch where the feed is i then took a 3 core over to the second switch and from the second switch took a switch line up to the downlighters. also at the second switch i wanted to borrow the feed from the 2 way and take it up to another set of down lighters. can someone confirm what cables go in what terminals at the first and second switches. just so i no im doing it right. thanks

first switch brown from supply to C black to L1 Grey to L2
second switch brown from light to C black to L1 Grey to L2
You would have to borrow feed for additional switch from the first switch only as that is the only switch with a consistent supply at a terminal (C)

if youve ran 3 core between switches then sl shouldnt need to be run if youve ran a feed to switch one.

unless youve live linked commons but as you say youve ran a feed then 3 core between switches with yellow as commons

Last edited by a moderator:
so the live from the supply goes to C. then the black goes in with it. brown in L1 and grey in L2. and at the second switch do the same colours. black in C and brown in L1 and grey in L2. then the twin and earth at the down lighters are obviously brown in live earth in earth and neatral in neautral up at the down lighter. where do the live and neautral go at the switch?

Ah so you have taken a twin and earth from the CU to the first sw, then a 3 core+e to the second and then a twin and earth from the second sw to the lights? If so then yo will need to block the neutral blue to grey of 3core. then brown and black of 3core in l1 and l2. brown feed from CU into common. then at second switch block the neutral again and do the same but this time the common will be the feed up to the lights...
failing that do as tony says :)

A two way circuit is simple if you know what your doing. From what I’ve read so far you don’t.
People on this board willingly give time to help other electricians and the odd DIYer that seems to know what he’s doing.

can you not just help me with my question please

The problem is that you appear not to know the very basics in wiring lighting circuits which will cause those who do to get rather twitchy about giving advice to you. If things go wrong and you do damage or get shocked, then who will be to blame, apart from yourself ?

You can't do it like this - there are only 3 cores in 3 core and earth, one of which you'll be using for the neutral, the other 2 for the strappers.
Only one of the strappers will be live at any one time, so you can't use them as a feed for the additional lights.
You can't use the common (switched live out) either because that wouldn't be live when the downlighters are off.

You can't do it like this - there are only 3 cores in 3 core and earth, one of which you'll be using for the neutral, the other 2 for the strappers.
Only one of the strappers will be live at any one time, so you can't use them as a feed for the additional lights.
You can't use the common (switched live out) either because that wouldn't be live when the downlighters are off.
You can, its just an old method of two way you don't see anymore. It used to be done in two core though and not two plate method.

You can, its just an old method of two way you don't see anymore. It used to be done in two core though and not two plate method.

The problem with the 2-plate method is the feed to the next light would need to be taken from the first switch and not the second.
Its a perfectly suitable method and with the present set up as outlined by the OP easy to achieve.
I would suggest that the OP did a course in the electrical basics, such as one of those 5 day jobbies ...... whoops :45:here we go :drunk:

Reply to 2 way lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net