230 V LED downlights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 230 V LED downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

The manufacturers state 35000 to 50000 hours, which should be about 20 years.
Good quality but expensive LED lamps should last about ten years (as an estimate) since the likely reason for failure will be the failure of the electronic components rather than the chips themselves.

If the lamp is overheated it will fail rapidly; if it is a cheap import lamp then the likelihood for failure on installation, or within the first month, will be high.

If you are using a dedicated fitting with an integral unreplaceable LED then, so long as they are installed correctly, they should last a good while.

Many manufacturers / suppliers now provide fairly long warranties for their lamps and fittings so worth looking out for that in case of problems.

Be careful with leds. They have been exploding in the market over the last year or so. Some are a scam. Biggest tip I can give is buy from a reputable source. If the company has only been around a few years or you've never heard of them, stay away. Lots of crap out there. Also the way they determine life time of leds is usually a rating like "will remain up to 70% bright for 50 000hrs". If they don't fail in the first few weeks they will last a long long time. Leds never really "burn out " like other lamps they just continually get dimmer and dimmer and dimmer.

Reply to 230 V LED downlights in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net