230v motor wiring problems | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 230v motor wiring problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AslElectrical

Hi guys , new to the forum I have been given a motor by a friend to see if I can get it working for him , its from a compressor , not sure of the make of the compressor but the motor has a stamped panel on the side which shows all the details , they are as follows
230v , ac , 2.2kw , 2850rpm, 50hz , 1 phase, 15.5amp, frame number: ped90ln. J067462 , class f , ip54 , 9658
I'm a competent electrician but haven't a clue on motors , its come to me with all the wires removed from the top block ,it has 2 capacitors bolted to the side , the wire colors are red blue black orange yellow , I can take a picture of the top block if needed

Any help would be very much appreciated , thanks in advance
Lee

With larger single phase motors they sometimes use two caps in parallel to act as a single larger capacitor.

Can't help with the colours, they can vary between manufacturers.

Are there any ID collets on the wiring with markings like U1, U2 etc?

Are you sure there's 5 wires?

If you peer into the back can you see a centrifugal switch assembly?

I've given you full member permissions so you should be able to attach images if they're not too large.

Last edited:
Hi marvo thanks for the quick and useful reply ,
There is 100% only 5 cables if I remove the cover surrounding the connector block you can see that they go directly into the windings of the motor , or atleast they appear to , 3 are labled but the other 2 aren't , I have red -U1 black-U2 yellow Z2 but the orange and blue aren't labeled I'm guessing one of the non labbeled should be z1 ? I'm not sure on how to add photos as I'm using my phone as to the laptop, I can email them to you if you like

It's no wonder you were having attachment issues, the image was 5Mb which is way too large for the forum image filesize limits.

Image res reduced and attached.

[ElectriciansForums.net] 230v motor wiring problems

[ElectriciansForums.net] 230v motor wiring problems

Last edited:
I can tell you 2 things that were evident from the photos,

firstly the windings are a peculiar colour, they look like there's been flash damage or overheating so I'd recommend you megger test the motor before going any further. Put a thousand volts onto each of the 5 wires and see if there's an insulation fault to earth.

Secondly the turquoise or light blue wire is an odd one out. It looks like it's a different size wire to the other four wires so I'm guessing it's not one of the winding wires. It's unusual for there to be an odd number of wires, there will be 4 wires going to the windings U1, U2, Z1 and Z2 and they're never commoned together internally because that means there's no option to reverse the run direction.

If there was wiring from a centrifugal start switch it would be two wires, likewise if there was a thermistor or some other form of protective device that would also be a couple of wires, not a single one.

At this stage in the game I'm tempted to say it's time to take it to a motor rewinders or repair shop and get it tested. I think there's a good chance you're going to cause damage to it if you go on with guesswork.

Last edited:
Got to agree with you Marvo .. Deffo some major overheating and as you say arcing/shorting/flashover damage...

on that note buy a new one or get it rewound then you'll have the correct marking then anyway.

Your mate gave it to you because it doesn't work .. the evidence is visual and not looking good.

Thanks for a the reply , it doesn't need to be reversed as its only for a compressor to go one way , any ideas of how its wired ? There's a locol recon place by me I'll run an ir test on it and then go from there

Reply to 230v motor wiring problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back