2377 C&G PAT Testing | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2377 C&G PAT Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DonCorleone

[ElectriciansForums.net] 2377 C&G PAT Testing
2377 C&G PAT Testing

I'm just about to do a two day course for the 2377 C&G PAT Testing.
Does the course start from the beginning or do you have to have knowledge of PAT testing already?And I haven't been able to find any literature in time.

Are you doing both parts of the 2377?

Not that it matters. You don't need any experience of PAT testing, in fact you don't even need to be an Electrician, unless you need to isolate fixed equipment. It is an easy course, electrical experience is an advantage. It starts at the beginning, and It goes through the paperwork side of things, then the visual inspections, then testing. Testing is just more or less an Earth continuity test, followed by an Insulation Resistance test. You will be shown what and how to do it, and the machine does the technical bit for you. I did a 3 day course in Jan, and got the 2377-100 and 200 awards.

The book for this course is "in service Testing and Inspection of Electrical Equipment". They will loan you it for your course.

Cheers........Howard

Are you doing both parts of the 2377?

The book for this course is "in service Testing and Inspection of Electrical Equipment". They will loan you it for your course.

Cheers........Howard
Depends on the college. It would be a good idea to buy it yourself and have a read through before the course, then keep it to hand afterwards to refer back to.

The Code of Practice is classed as the Bible for Inspection and Testing of in-service Electrical Appliances. Your course will follow this guide. Advice would be - Make sure you ask some questions during the course and order a copy of the COP. The COP will offer invaluable information as to PAT and why etc. It also details classification of equipment, frequency of test and the test required against classification of equipment. It is based on H&S guidelines and electrical safety in the workplace and is the culmination of years of industry professionals and best practice attitude.
The course is straight forward and with no experience a pass should be achievable. Pass rate is around 60% usually. I sat my 2377 Pt1 in 2002 with 4 electricians - 2 failed on basic understanding of the Code of Practice!
A basic understanding of electrics is required - ie - how to wire a plug. The course should be around the safety aspect of why we test and how to conduct the test properly. If the course is good, you will have some basic tuition on a PAT tester. This tuition is usually basic. Make sure this takes place - Where do you put the Earth Bond lead on a Class 1 Kettle with a plastic body will usually offer thought! Competency is the desired result of any course - Being able to demonstrate the required skill and knowledge is the brief definition of Competency - Knowledge of the product being tested, knowledge of the tester used, knowledge of the product and how it will be used etc etc.
A previous entry on this post states - You will be shown what and how to do it, and the machine does the technical bit for you. This in essence is correct. How the tester works and what results it delivers are usually governed by the tester. Do not think that attending a PAT course is the key to an easy life! If you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it you will be able to deliver a better service if you are to be involved in PAT.
Above everything - the Visual test must remain one of the most important tests in PAT testing - Question yourself over whether you would let your siblings or family use a piece of equipment with bare conductors and loose plug. This will usually focus your mind on the job etc.
Basically - PAT is not putting green stickers on plug tops and only issuing visual tests to deemed inaccessible equipment. Ask the course tutor for real-life situations.
On passing the 2377 you will then start to view all appliances in a different light and look for retest dates on plug-tops in every Hotel and establishment you visit!
Good luck!

If you want some City and Guilds 2377 type questions send me your email :)
Hi....I noticed your post. I am trying to book a 2377-12 course in the North East (pref Newcastle area) I would also be interested in your past exam questions and answers. Any chance you could email some info ? Do you know of a reputable training facility for the city & Guilds 2377 in Northumberland ? Thanks Pete

Hi....I noticed your post. I am trying to book a 2377-12 course in the North East (pref Newcastle area) I would also be interested in your past exam questions and answers. Any chance you could email some info ? Do you know of a reputable training facility for the city & Guilds 2377 in Northumberland ? Thanks Pete

The best advice i can give you is to but the City and Guilds 2377 exam success book. It is about £15. This has some good C&G sample questions and answers with explanations. It also has some good tips as well. Everyone who has sat though my course, and read this book has passed at the first attempt, and that includes those who weren't qualified electricians. If you have the code of practice and a basic electrical knowledge then you will be OK.

Cheers..........Howard

I have sat it at the end of last year and I would advise getting the code of practise well before and read it in small parts just to get used to it I have mentioned this before my course was 6 2 hour nightclass and I felt I took it in plus I didnt throw the book behinf the couch i did pass papers between the nightclasses and did 20 minutes revising every day. O one last thing I thought i was pitch perfect for the exam thinking 90% will be past questions O boy was I wrong I had to thumb through my code of practise book and by luck I had used those sticky out page highlighter labels and they worked a treat and after all that good luck.

Reply to 2377 C&G PAT Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net