2391 Exam - PIR or new EICR | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2391 Exam - PIR or new EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OldskoolUpNorth

Evenin all,

I'm doin the 2391 and got the practical tuesday with theory thursday.

Can anyone tell me, is the inspection and testing of an installation still called a periodic or is it now to be known as an 'Electrical Installation Condition Report'.

Even my tutor doesn't know and i don't fancy dropping marks for somet that stupid.

As well as that, anybody know what the crack is with the 2391 IR test rig, he went over it but pretty fast. Low resistance connections compared to shorts???

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Neil.

Well EICRs came in after 1st January 2012.

It all depends when you started the course.

Have a look on the C&G website if not give them a call and they will tell you.

Dont worry to much as its your tutor assessing you - it should be!

Thanks Nicholas.

Been workin to the BGB so hopefully it's gonna be an EICR.

Just my luck to be doin the exam when the subjects matters changing....!

Ta.

Well thats good in a way at least you'll be up to date.

Don't worry about the IR rig, it will be straight forward, all they're looking for is that you can use your testing equipment and interpret the results. Don't get hung up on guessing what will come, the one I did it was a re-configurable box of tricks so no crafty whispers from the previous chap would help.

DON'T WORRY! Just focus but watch the clock.

How do Spartykus,

Thanks for the reply.

The IR test is my main issue.
Do you have to decide what sort of fault it is???
Apparently I'm to use a continuity test once I've found it to decide on a)dead short b)low resistance

Whats the value for a low resistance fault??

Last edited by a moderator:
My nephew has just done the 2391 exam and the practicle in the last week and he states it was as the new regs and EICR.

He is about to leave the Army and has done a course with regards to him leaving I dont know if this is different.

It was a C&G exam exactly the same as the one I sat so I would say all exams are based on the new ammendement!

When we did the practical exam, on the IR test rig, from what i cam remember, all you had to do was find the fault, either a live to live fault or live to earth fault, note the circuit the fault was on, and write down if it was either a dead short, or a low resistance fault.

City and Guilds have stated that all exams after 1st Jan 2012 would be based on the BGB and so would be EICR.

I think for the IR test you need to identify why you are getting the value you get. On the IR test I never used a continuity tester; if you get 0.00Mohm then a dead short, if you get 0.100Mohm to 0.500Mohm it is a neon, dimmer, electronic equipment in circuit.

Just my thoughts

Thanks for the info guys.
Finding an IR fault should be fine, it just threw me when he mentioned using continuity test on it.
Thanks for the values Richard, that makes it a lot less daunting.

Cheers all, this place is pretty bloody handy I think....

Hi All,
According to the last information I received from city and guilds, 2391 exams from 1st Jan onwards will be based on the big green book. This means that you will have to modify any information given in Guidance Note 3 as, according to the IET website this is expected not to be available until April. Shouldn't be too much of a problem though as it will mainly affect the forms, which are available in the BGB and also downloadable from the IET website.

Hi Concorde,

Yeah a couple of others have agreed with you.
I've been using BGB for a while now so hopefully my only problem will be the rest of the questions haha...

just a few things to revise now, I can't afford not to pass it.

thanks for the info mate.

I took mine in december and was told a few days ago that I had passed.But when the tutor was teaching us he said that the 2391 was being done away with in 2012 and split into 2 qualifications, 1 would be for EICR and the other for Electrical certification of new/minor works.However he did say that now was a good time to sit it as you are covered for both and we did a PIR in my exam and just glossed over the EICR.I hope this helps and good luck.

Reply to 2391 Exam - PIR or new EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back