2392 inspection and testing?? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2392 inspection and testing?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stuartgil

Hi ppl, any thoughts on this course as I have little experience in testing and have been told that I could do this course and with a good year or so of site experience I could then do the 2391 exam as city & guilds have said that this qualification will not be faded out and will still be recognised in the future.....

2392 and 91 does not ecist any more its now 2394 in shall verfaccting and 2395 is inspection and test 2 exams one muilt chose for exach but dont have to do it for the nedt one two writens and 2 partacals

I've just done the 2392 mate. It's initial verification and testing. Fine for just that.

2391 has been stopped by City and guilds and has been split into two different parts. 2394 which is initial verification and testing (I'm not gonna do cos I have 2392) and 2395 which is periodic inspection, test and condition report (which I am booked in for November).

I believe they split the old 2391 into two modules cos it had a low pass rate. Plenty of places you can do 2394 and 2395 combined although like matey above says it's two practicals and two writtens.

They is some confusion about 2392 not being endorsed by NICEIC but it's not true, they are changing the conditions to become a supervisor that's all.

Hope that helps.

2392 and 91 does not ecist any more its now 2394 in shall verfaccting and 2395 is inspection and test 2 exams one muilt chose for exach but dont have to do it for the nedt one two writens and 2 partacals

This does still exist as this is a level 2 qualification it was 2391 which no longer exists as it was split in to 2394 and 2395 to make it easier to pass.

do the 2394 then 2395. forget the 2392. it's just a level 2 stepping stone. get hold of GN3 and swot it up.

If you are going to go straight to the 2394 / or 95, it would be worth you taking a look at City and Guild cheif examiners reports to see where people seem to stumble as its a lot of money, so its worth being as prepared as possible.

I did the 2392 before the 2394, and to be honest, I felt it was very basic and was surprised how little depth it went into. Yes it gave me insight into what it may be like, but the 2394 was absolutely nothing like or remotely similar.

I have provided links for February, April and June from this year to save you looking.

February 2013
http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/Produc.../2394-302_Chief_Examiners_Report_Feb_2013.pdf

April 2013
http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/Produc...-302_Chief_Examiners_Report_April_17_2013.pdf

June 2013
http://cdn.cityandguilds.com/Produc...2394-302_Chief_Examiners_Report_June_2013.pdf

How times have changed, first "Part P" now a watered down 2391. Whilst I embrace change in the electrical industry (if we dont we will just sink in the mire) I sometimes wonder why we want/need to water down a qualification that is so fundementally important? Surely it cant be just to make it easier so more "electricians" can pass it?!?!

How times have changed, first "Part P" now a watered down 2391. Whilst I embrace change in the electrical industry (if we dont we will just sink in the mire) I sometimes wonder why we want/need to water down a qualification that is so fundementally important? Surely it cant be just to make it easier so more "electricians" can pass it?!?!

And make more courses/money.

Boydy

Sorry guys, but the 2394/5 are not a "watered down" 2391. The pass rates for both 4 & 5 are not significantly better that for 2391, and you are having to go through two sets of closed book exams, not one. If you read, read and read again GN3, understand it, use the correct terminology, and have a good understanding of insulation res testing etc, then you have a reasonable prospect of passing both - but it's not a walk in the park. Like anything, getting the cert is just the start of real learning!

Sorry guys, but the 2394/5 are not a "watered down" 2391. The pass rates for both 4 & 5 are not significantly better that for 2391,

Just wish I could have split the 2391 into two bits rather than having to understand/remember everything for just one exam!

Or does it say a lot about the 'candidates' training in that if even only having to understand half of GN3 for that particular exam ( initial or periodic) in the same time as the 2391(?) that they still cant get a better pass rate than the old sweats who had to understand both at one sitting ....... or have I missed something and the two new seperate exams have discovered some harder form of testing than we had for the 2391?!?!

Or perhaps the scope of the whole testing has now expanded a further level and its the 2391 candiadates who had it easier because their questions were watered down? ...... or maybe Im just an oldy cynic who shouldnt question the system!

Tbh, I'm not saying one is harder/easier than the other, just that 2394/5 are not a poor relation. I could really put the cat amongst the pigeons, by saying that neither the old or new C&G's were/are exactly rocket science, especially if you put the work in to really understand the theories & practice. After all, a lot of it is a memory test, rather than a true test of ability. Even the practical elements of both should present no major challenge to a competent spark!

Unfortunately though, like myself people who missed out on the 2491 now have no choice but to do these exams. Even though I have the 2394 and 2395 I still see the 2391 as a superior qualification. Looking forward to doing the 2396 design next year.

It wasn't done to make it easier to pass, it was done so the training and exams could go into more detail. It also allows people to choose one qualification depending on their line of work if both aren't relevant

the industry standard to qualify as an electrician is level 3(wether c&g or nvq) so to be qualfied to test should also be the same. or is some work level 2? ie part p, 6 week ,electricians etc

It wasn't done to make it easier to pass, it was done so the training and exams could go into more detail.

Now I do feel inadequate compared to the new exam passers! They know more about inspecting and testing than the old sweats who passed the 2391 do.

Can I respectfully ask that you keep this quiet so employers dont realise how inadequate the 2391 guys are compared to the new guys?

Thank-you in advance ......

I still see the 2391 as a superior qualification.

It probably isnt but Im just struggling getting my head around why we need to split it into two?. The principles/standards of inspecting & testing etc ... aren't any different now than before, you cant alter the physics of what its trying to achieve!

I just feel we are trying to water down the qualification into bite size pieces to enable more people to pass -- and generate more money thro' more courses and exams?!?!

Please, someone correct me if Im total askew and have lost the plot completely!!

I think as you and others have said, it's more money for colleges/training firms and C&G. If it was to improve the pass rate, the idea has failed miserably.

Being one that has had the opportunity of passing the 2391 in 2006 and then sitting the 2394 and 2395 this year to satisfy a requirement of a resent employer ( paid for by them)
I can say that both are similar and if anything I found the 2391 easier as it was only one exam with half the amount of questions. But with that said, it did have to be done in one exam.
If your competent in wot your doing and understand testing and inspection, together with having gn3 to relate/refer to at your disposal, your basically doing the exam every time your doing your certs and test results. And having the privilege of being open book when you do.
Both will always be respected in the industry and will continue to be even if it changes again in years to come.
It not like my dad's harder than your dad. It's like we know what we're doing and we can prove it.

Reply to 2392 inspection and testing?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net