2395 Written Exam Tonight | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 2395 Written Exam Tonight in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well it seemed to go alright, there was nothing that I didn't understand, a couple of badly worded questions, but other than that I feel I have probably done ok. Time will tell! I had a bit of brain-out near the end on the volt drop bit as it was asking about it in three different ways which got me thinking, but as far as I am aware, I put the correct answers!

I have to say, there seemed to be a lot more questions that on the 2394 which I did last year, and I almost ran out of time as there was a lot to write and trying to cover all bases.

There was three of us doing it and having briefly discussed it at the end, we all appeared to be putting the same answers or there about, so probably all ok.

Thank god there was not drawing questions, that takes ages on its own.

Well it seemed to go alright, there was nothing that I didn't understand, a couple of badly worded questions, but other than that I feel I have probably done ok. Time will tell! I had a bit of brain-out near the end on the volt drop bit as it was asking about it in three different ways which got me thinking, but as far as I am aware, I put the correct answers!

I have to say, there seemed to be a lot more questions that on the 2394 which I did last year, and I almost ran out of time as there was a lot to write and trying to cover all bases.

There was three of us doing it and having briefly discussed it at the end, we all appeared to be putting the same answers or there about, so probably all ok.

Thank god there was not drawing questions, that takes ages on its own.

To be honest it wasn't to bad but I had a brain out on question 4 where it said something about sample testing on the distribution board. That threw me big time and I didn't put nothing down but thinking about it now I see what they asking. I think I should have said choose 2 or 3 circuit carry out continuity and insulation resistance also Zs. If results are good then ok if not then test more circuits.

1st three question were good safe isolation on 3 phase, 5 things to inspect on DNOs equipment, rcd test but you get questions with a question but all worth 15 marks each, those muggs do try to catch you out with their wording.

Good luck to anyone who did it.

ok re question about RCD. It asked how will a RCD react to live cables shorting? It thew me as I know if Live conductor (inc neutral) to earth an imbalanced is caused and will trip. But i was thinking, would a RCD trip if 2 live conductors shorted out? Would not the over current device protecting the circuit trip instead?

ok re question about RCD. It asked how will a RCD react to live cables shorting? It thew me as I know if Live conductor (inc neutral) to earth an imbalanced is caused and will trip. But i was thinking, would a RCD trip if 2 live conductors shorted out? Would not the over current device protecting the circuit trip instead?
Exactly, an RCD is not designed to trip based on the quantity of current flowing in the live conductors, it is designed only to trip on a difference (Idn) in current flow between the live conductors.

Hoe did you guys taking the 2395 answer this question? Was i right with my answer?

If it was a short circuit, your answer is wrong.
But for a 1 mark question, it was perfect, there is need to expand on the answer, move on to the next Q!
Save your exam time for the bigger questions.

If it was a short circuit, your answer is wrong.
But for a 1 mark question, it was perfect, there is need to expand on the answer, move on to the next Q!
Save your exam time for the bigger questions.

ok thanks for for your reply, I think the question was how will the rcd react when line and neutral conductors come into contact together ? I've tried it and it does trip the rcd so what would your answer be to that ?

Last edited:
it will trip, as when you short L and N, all sorts of nasty spiky current will flow until the fault clears. this will create an imbalance causing the RCD to trip.

Reply to 2395 Written Exam Tonight in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net