25mm dia Deck LED Lights Problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 25mm dia Deck LED Lights Problem in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

delboy78

A few years ago I installed the small recessed deck kits within my timber decking, due to the amount of lights and with it being external I removed the combined plug/transformer and female connectors pre fitted on each LED cable, I put in my own transformer seperate and connected all deck lights to this.

I have to be honest and say that I hardly use the lights but they were working fine when in use, when I switch them on now they all come on but my decking is now like a disco, all the LED's flicker really fast and is very noticable. The odd time when i switch them (if not been on in a while) they will be fine for a minute then the flickering starts again and does not stop.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be, is it likely to be the transformer has went faulty, it can't be the way they were wired as they used to work fine.

Any ideas?

LED drivers are notoriously fickle. I installed a load for a supermarket chain for under there refrigeration cabinets and all worked fine for about 2 weeks and the same thing happened.

We found that the driver had faulted and got the manufacter to send replacements which did the same. A guy cane from the LED company and told me that the driver that came with these were the wrong type, now if the company that makes them got it wrong ..........

I tihnk you may have to go back to the original driver supplied by the manufacter.

The original driver was a combined plug/transformer to plug into 13Amp socket outlet. Due to it being external that is why I took this away and put a light switch internal, ran a twin&earth external to transformer under deck within IP box and this is where all LED cabling terminates.
The transformer I replaced it with was suitably rated and was working fine for a good while, thats why I can't understand whats happened, couldit be a voltage thing, if sometimes they come on fine then flicker starts after a minute or so.

Had a case recently where some led garden lights had been working fine for months and then started flickering like a disco. It turned out that they had been wired to the drivers in parallel like normal lights, literature said they should have been connected in series. Re-jigged to series with the same drivers and they were fine. As you have removed the connectors to the lights and reconnected is it possible you have connected them in parallel when they should be series?

They could be......if you can plug in less than 10 lights I would guess they are in parallel.....if they are a kit and 10 lights have to be plugged in it's possible the junction box is wired in series internally.

Thanks for the advice, I have wired them in parallel, so will give it a try in series and see what happens.
Just cant get head round why they been working fine for a while then suddenly start going crazy, firstly I thought it was faulty transformer, but I changed that when they came on and were fine for a minute or so, I then thought it must be a wiring problem, voltage or current problem.

The junction box must have been wired in parallel, cause you could plug in any amount, it must have something to do with me adding more LED's, I have about 20No, I can only presume the current or voltage is getting split too much with it being in parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 25mm dia Deck LED Lights Problem in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net