3.5kw system with sb3000hf inverter | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 3.5kw system with sb3000hf inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi My system has just been fitted with 14 x 250watt panels ie 3500 watts
but the installer has fitted a sma 3000hf inverter was this the correct combination,
it has produced 12.5kw so far in 2 days

it's a good combination that will maximise the performance of the HF inverter, which is most efficient at higher voltages and higher outputs. It probably will limit the output below the peak output it might have briefly achieved, but as panels reduce their output significantly as they warm up, and after inverter losses etc I doubt this is going to result in more than a 0.2-0.3% overall reduction in output, which is probably more than made up for in the efficiency improvements on the inverter.

SMA do have a bit of a gap in their range around this level, with either the 3000HF or TL, or the 3600TL being the options. The TL range would probably have needed the strings to be split to 2 x 7 panels though as they have a lower voltage range, which would have significantly reduced the efficiency, probably below that of the HF as specced.

It's certainly well within the manufacturers recommendations anyway. Hope this helps.

I raised a similar query recently.
We have a 2.88kw system with an inverter rated with a max output of 2.65kw (Fronius IG30) but yesterday it was putting out 2.8kw at one point.

If it was my install I would have prefered a power one but each installer is different, its a bit late to worry about it now, did they not spec the inverter before install. Some installers would be happy with the sunnyboy...others not...

Thanks guys I guess I will stick to the 3000hf it was up to 2.5kw at best today and 12 kwh, great sunny day !

If you used a good installer, I'm sure they chose the best & most economic Inverter for your application taking in consideration your location, direction, shading etc etc

Sometimes, unless you have the most perfect circumstances, its not necessary to have the level of kit you think you need based on figs....

Reply to 3.5kw system with sb3000hf inverter in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net