3 bed re-wire! Advice please!!! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 bed re-wire! Advice please!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Danielwareham

Hi

I started out on my own recently and have only taken on small jobs so far to gain more experience and confidence.

I going to look a 1970's three bed house tomorrow to rewire and just need some advice on what I should be looking at when pricing up. Are there certain problems you look out for early on that could be costly and time consuming? What would be your process when looking round the house step by step?

Thanks

biggest problem is chip board floors not easy to lift and re fit , but in general should be straight forward , if the house is occupied it can be aquard as you need to relay floors and ensure that power and lighting are left operational , and that the freezer is always left with power nothing worse than having to pay for a freezer full of food , always best to do it in sections if you can or start to wire the legs and second fix when you wire , if you use oozzie boxes they are easy to patch round when patching up

Type of construction, amount of points to install, smoke alarms, cable routes, customer special requests, how busy you are, what your competitors are charging, how quick can you do it, will you need help, are you making good afterwards, get it all in writing for you and them, how many circuits will you put in, what type of circuits, outside lighting, internal lighting special requests, TV sat telephone points, burglar alarms, outbuildings, is it lived in, will they live there whilst the work is ongoing, how and when will you get paid. If i think of anything else i will let you know...............Cheers.........Howard.

PS good luck, but cover your backside, no expensive cock ups.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found out it was dry wall and chip board over the phone. What's the best way to deal with chip board? Can you make access cuts to get away with not bringing it all completely up? Forgive my ignorance but what are oozzie boxes?

we doing a 4 bed at the moment its having everthing tv alarm down lighters all chased in we plaster good afterwoods had a few problems found chipboard florring in 1 part flat roofs in others 3 kids dog fill of furniture and hard cable roots its a pain but its work I recamend you work along side a sparks doing a few rewires to get some experiance being on my own for 11 years now have done loads of them so now thay can be a pain

i find rewires boring and hard work after 20 years and for a standard 3 bed i would charge £2500 looking about 2 weeks work on my own but i will fill in chases and make good as well for £200
tv cables i will do at same time but spots extra, alarm extra, door entry system extra, and smoke alarms are a standard thing i would do got chasing tool for walls and small makita batt powered circula saw(verry handy tool no one els has) for chipboard floor and a wall cutter for boxes.

but now just like doing inspection and testing of larke building with 30x46way db s

every now and again i think a rewire would be fun to do but 2 days in to it i hate it lol

at the moment any work is good time are harder than they was i used to turn a lot of work down but now cant do that. who els finds that now?

chipboard flooring,better put some extra pricing on for batten as well,if you know any others sparks who can help out,it may help you gain that valuable experience on that,perhaps someone local on here might help you,it might seem like you are losing your income but a little insight can save you time and money goodluck.

Personally I would only entertain a rewire if it was surface, empty, with the ceilings down - see if you can talk them into it.... ;)
when nan got council house rewired they said 'we got this stuff called trunking, when its in you will hardly notice it love - you can paint it, paper over it just like a normal wall'

Anyway mate Good Luck, Probably be a nice little earner for you if you play your cards right!

at the moment any work is good time are harder than they was i used to turn a lot of work down but now cant do that. who els finds that now? totally agree we use to turn work away but last 2 weeks has been dead got my only call today to change a battery in a smoke alarm as the customer couldnt get it of the ceiling.

Reply to 3 bed re-wire! Advice please!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net