3 phase install | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 phase install in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jmsparks

I am installing a 3 phase hose swaging machine, just want to run through the install make sure i have it right, any suggestions welcome. i have been told it will require a 30a 3 phase supply

32A 3phase breaker type c
4mm 3core SWA

From the board, wire to a 32a rotary isolator in 4mm swa, using the armouring as the earth.

From the isolator to a DOL starter,(green on and red off button) in 4mm singles in 20mm plastic copex.

From the DOL starter to the machine, using the lead supplied witht he machine in plastic copex.

Questions...

Does the DOL starter act as a sufficient emergency stop button?
Is it better the wire into a commando outlet so the machine can be changed?

The red stop on the DOL starter is only a functional stop and depending on a risk assesment of the machine will establish the need for a E-Stop circuit, if the machine requires E-Stops it would surely be incorperated with-in the machine control system but the fact that you starting machine via DOL starter suggests it dosnt have any control system.
If E-Stop are required then a control panel needs wiring with safety relay and possible 2 channel E-Stop circuit, also when an emergency occurs do all moving parts need to stop instantly or will coasting be acceptable without an inherent risk of injury in the emergency.
To give you an idea about DOL starter been just functional start and stop if you stop the machine using the stop button a failure of the button, a jammed in contactor, incorrectly chosen parts etc all could stop the button stopping the machine which isnt thus classed as fail safe.
If their are inherent dangers in using and working around this machine then the machine requires a control system with limit switches for gaurds and/or removeable panels, because you are wiring the power up a future incident may come back to haunt you as you commisioned the machine by supplying it with power.

The stop button isnt and cant be classed as an E-Stop as it isnt fail safe, a risk assesment of the machine will need to be made as to whether an E-Stop system is required and if so a control panel will be required with a safety relay system doing the Emergency Stop circuit with any limit switch etc incorporated for removeable panels and gaurds where an inherent danger exist.
The DOL starter could jam in, the button could fail electrically or mechanically which means it isnt fail safe or classed as E-Stop, Where as safety relays usually run 2 channels and if anything fails on any channel then the 2 channel will still activate a E-Stop, often more then one contactor is controlled by the relay so jamming or failure of one to release can be covered by a second contactor releasing.

Last edited:

Reply to 3 phase install in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net