3 phase supply to new residential home? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 phase supply to new residential home? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

knxhome

What is your experience with getting three phase supply installed for a residential single family home?

This is for a new house in London; therefore a new connection to the supply in the road has to be installed anyway. The DNO is UK Power Networks.

The reasons why three phase supply is desired:
- ground source heat pump (runs more efficiently on three phase supply)
- PV system (16A limit of feed-in current on single phase)
- potential use of electric car in future (more efficient chargers, plus faster charging)

What has to be considered concerning supply tariffs?

Thanks.

I've had to do this a couple of times and to be fair I contacted the DNO (Western Power) They sent their man out and then they dealt with the customer direct. POP

Tariffs are a jungle and even when I queried the DNO the answers where vague to say the least. I don't think they understand them :D

Thanks re the DNO. Have to see how UK Power Networks will deal with it.

Fully agree concerning the jungle of the tariffs. I just had look though some supply tariffs; e.g. EDF Energy’s Online S@ver Version 12 full tariff rules make reference to a "standard credit meter".
I gather that a "standard credit meter" could be a three phase meter, e.g. http://sibert.co.uk/uploads/spare_document/filename/18/L_G_5219_Technical_Specification.pdf .
If this is correct then 3 phase supply to a residential single family house should not be a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 3 phase supply to new residential home? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net