3 way conversion | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3 way conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rantoftheday

Hey guys what is easiest way to convert hall switching from 2 way to 3 way? At present switch 1 has supply from consumer unit and two strappers. Switch 2 has the two strappers also (obviously) and the switched love to the light. I want to add a third switch. Can I do this by running a three core from switch 2 to my new switch!

The switch live can remain where it is, change switch for intermediate, put two sets of strapless in one in one out link the common out at the intermediate switch, terminate the 3 core at the new 2 way switch! Job done sweep up

strapless?????>

[ElectriciansForums.net] 3 way conversion

Last edited:
yes at switch 2 where your s/line is yes? run 3core from there to new switch block s/line on 1 of 3 core 2other wires for your strappers at new switch you will have your switched live an 2 strappers. replace switch 2 with intermediate switch

Take three core from switch 2 to new switch. Remove brown from common in switch two. Through crimp this brown with new brown in three core cable. Make switch two an intermediate. Put both sets of strappers into int switch and new grey and blacks into l1 and l2 at new switch and new brown into common

Take three core from switch 2 to new switch. Remove brown from common in switch two. Through crimp this brown with new brown in three core cable. Make switch two an intermediate. Put both sets of strappers into int switch and new grey and blacks into l1 and l2 at new switch and new brown into common

snapp lol

There is no perm feed going to what will be the intermediate switch though
so? at switch 2 remove the switch wire and join in a wago with one of the 3 new cores to the new switch, then connect the other 2 cores opposite the original strappers in a new intermediate switch, the existing switch at switch 2 can then be installed at the new switch 3 position

All you need to remember is what an intermediate does , it swaps the rails so if you have L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 when the switch is operated it swaps the L1 to L2 and L2 to L1 so crosses the strappers , what should also be looked at is the 2 way wiring method of the installation , some installs use the switch feed method where the feed goes to the common of one switch and the out to the light goes from the other light switch common with a 2 core cable as the strappers or the 3 core method where the switch wire is connected across L1 and L2 at the switch with a 3 core linking the switches , if its this method then add the switch 3 core to the first or second switch then add the intermediate here , if it has the switch wire at the switch you have run the 3 core to then just connect across the L1 and L2 , so your inter mediate will be in the middle of the 2 other switches even if the switch wire is on the intermediate it will work don't for get at the intermediate position the commons are joined together wago reds or the browns depending on what colours have been used as the common it could be any of them but should be red or brown

Reply to 3 way conversion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net