3kw split array with an aurora 3000 for 9400 is that reasonable? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3kw split array with an aurora 3000 for 9400 is that reasonable? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Donavan Bangs

Im getting a system installed with what should be a split 3kw ( 12 suntech 250's) with what should be an aurora 3000 inverter. one half is south east the other is west. It includes scaffolding ect. Does this sound ok? and is there anything i need to be careful about for the install. Im not that familiar with the 3000 and most talk on here is about the 3.6. just wondered.

Aurora 3000 inverter is excellent and sounds perfect for your installation. Price sounds excellent too - Bite their hand off and quickly. They've pulled off a master stroke to get hold of Suntech 250s too.

Well, I've just paid £12k for a similar system but with 13 sanyo hit235.
That was onto a slate roof which I believe adds to the cost with increased work.

If your quote is to have it fitted before Dec 11 then I'd say it's a bargain.
If they plan on fitting after that date you may be better off waiting till after the cut off and see if the prices fall dramatically. Judging by the tesco deal they will.

i called this morning now they have the hooks in but just found out the suntech 250's they got are actually 245s so they offered Hyundai 250's instead. with no real time left i opted for the Hyundai 250's instead of the suntech 245's. I dont know about the price differences, they said Hyundai 250's were more expensive than my original suntech 250's but I dont know about it, but they said no difference in the price they are charging me. Not a happy camper but if it all works then fine if not then i am sure some arrangement can be made. I am trying to be as understanding as i can but after calling 2 weeks ago and asking if they had all the parts and them saying yes they did.... well mistakes happen. And for some reason i have 2 rea insurance policies with different numbers. weird huh.

I think we all need a bit more understanding from Customers in General. It's been an absolute farce so far with the government bringing in the cuts so quick.

I've had a 'few' arguments with customers so far and have politely told them that 'we are in a mess'.

We are working with the best information we have at the time and they will have to bear with us.

The Hyundai Panel is a very good panel (check to make sure they have the right mid-clamps as well, its a much shallower panel).

At £9,400 it's a good price.

Hope this helps

I wouldn't worry about it. Whichever of the 3 panels you have named will be great.
The price is fantastic for a before dec 12th install.

Hyundai panels are good and they are actually a little more expensive than Suntech panels. I'd say that your installer is being pretty good about this, doing the install at the same price.

well that's a bit more reassuring as long as they get fitted it should be fine, as the electrics are in place just need inverter and panels put in.

more changes now he says instead of a single aurora inverter with 2 strings he says 2 sma sb 1200 ' s would be the way to go. I can see some of the logic behind it and he said no change in price was needed. So maybe 2 small ones cost the same as 1 large one? he used the sma software and sent a pdf with the info.View attachment 8947

I'd definitely prefer an Aurora inverter as the yield will definitely be higher. The inverter uses a much higher inverter method which is more efficient than the SB1200s.

Again, though, this doesn't seem to be a case of the installer pulling the wool of your eyes. The cost of 2 SB1200s would be more than the Aurora 3000.

Just lack of availablity for the power one I bet.
Maybe availability will be better next week as people finish off their
last installs?

Last edited:
Im just wondering if it is that he just uses the sma free software and in the example he sent me didn't seem to allow the sse/ west split of the system with the generation figures for that. I mean yes it is about 30 degree angle for the roof but the azimuth he input was 0 which i think is south. but i dont have access to anythingThe warranty looks to be only 5 years on the inverters and i have no idea about monitoring the system. As well as saying he needed to know immediately my choice as he had to call right then. It just does not inspire much confidence particularly as i said as i had called 2 weeks ago and asked if they actually had everything, all the parts they needed and they had said yes. and since then we find they had the parts apart from the right panels, or roof hooks, and now the inverter. so i suppose they were good on cable and rails. But i know a lot of you face the same frustrations with your suppliers.

In any other set of circumstances, I would be very critical of your installer.

However, the last month has been a huge stress-fest and we've all experienced problems like your installer has. We have all been told that we can have stock by our suppliers only to be spectacularly let down afterwards.

A lot of installers also rely on Sunny Design to sort their systems out. It is a little worrying that he got his azimuths wrong but it won't have any practical affect on the system.

There aren't many two MPP tracker inverters available around the 3kWp mark so two inverters may be the only option.

I've been hearing good things about Danfoss inverters which have triple MPPTs. Don't know if there are any available just now though

well everything is in and functional and paperwork checked by edf. Later on i will get some monitoring stuff for the inverters im hoping to be able to bluetooth the inverters to my pc but would need the piggy back boards i think. I even lowered my own chimney so it didn't affect the panels much. Still a little concerned by 1.5kw going into a 1200 but i have been told it is unlikely i will go over the 1300 max input.

Two questions does it void the warranty on the inverters or cause a hazard if they have been mounted without correct clearances on all sides ie 20 cm from each other and put on a plywood board when the instructions say not on flammable building materials?
And is it ok for the cables on the panels to be touching the roof tiles?

I would have thought that not leaving the correct clearances would void the inverter warranty as they are likely to get hotter than usual.

The plywood board/flammable board issue is one of safety rather than warranty.

Cables on roof tiles - not ideal but sometimes unavoidable. As long as the installer has done all he can to keep the cables secure then that is all you can ask.

Reply to 3kw split array with an aurora 3000 for 9400 is that reasonable? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net