3phase wiring help! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3phase wiring help! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dannyg187

Hi all, I am sorry to bother you all with what will seem a silly point for most of the qualified people but I am in need of urgent help without going back to my sparky as we have had a falling out.
Basicly we recently had my shop re-wired which included a new 3phase supply. I had alll my range cookers, griddles and fryers wired in. however one of my fryers has died. I have an identical spare, but after looking at just switching the cables, we have looked and the old fryer a falcon dominator e1830 has 5cables- 2black,1brown,1blue an yellow and green earth. The brown and blacks are wired into the 3 live points blue neutral and yellow earth. However the new fryer also the e1830 only has 4 cables 2red,1black and a yellow and green earth. Can someone advise how best to simply switch new fryer with the different colour cables and also with 1 less?? Any help is much appreciated..

Sounds like your replacement fryer only uses 2 phases. I would suggest you need the services of an electrician as the replacement unit may have higher load rating per phase than the old one and may need a change of circuit breaker

Thanks for the response. In regards to phase loadin the old fryer states 1r-5 2s-5 and 3t is blank the new fryer states L1-4.8, L2-4.8 and L3 is also blank the total rated input is 10kw old and 9.5new if that helps. Is it as simple as leaving one of the lives blank when connecting the plug. Thank again

Is anyone able to help at all please?? Just need to know if it's as simple as leaving one ofbthe lives unconnected when wiring the plug. As the ratings are pretty much identical and the old fryer doesn't even appear to use the 3rd phase although wired in!!

Looks like it should work I assume the phase loads stated are in Kw's and are only connected to two phases on both units the only possible use for the third phase on the old unit may be a control circuit

Ok it looks to me as if you have two phase unit

Catering equipment manufacturer manuals from PKL Group for free download

use this link and select your fryer and do the image verification thingamajig and it states that your model number fryer is indeed 2 phase and gives a wiring diagram to illustrate this.

Its been a long while since I have done any catering equipment work but I really would advise you to get a catering equipment engineer to connect it up and test. If it has been sitting around you don't know if damp has got in or even if the hi limit stat is working in the event of thermostat failure.

At any point on a 3phase motor and its supply should u get continuity across any of the phases at any point, just to settle an argument cheers sorry to just jump in on this thread

At any point on a 3phase motor and its supply should u get continuity across any of the phases at any point, just to settle an argument cheers sorry to just jump in on this thread
answered that one on your original post mate.

Reply to 3phase wiring help! in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net