4 pole vs 3 pole switches/breaker | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 4 pole vs 3 pole switches/breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dkpramanik

For a LT panel which have two incoming 5000A ACB from 3phase, 3MVA Dyn transformer & 630A ACB from 3 phase, 250kW Black Start DG set and have several outgoing 3 phase, 100A-300A MCCB for remote distribution panel and have some single phase load.

Could anyone pls advise which type of 3 Pole or 4 Pole ACB and MCCB should I use for the LT panel as per IEC standard?

What are the advantage and disadvantage of using 4 pole vs 3 pole?

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from anything else, nothing in your OP makes much sense!! lol!! Rule of thumb incomers and any stand-by Generator incomer on to a switchboard, should always be 4 pole as well as any bus couplers.... that's as far as i'm going on this one!! lol!!

I'm glad you said that Tony, I was gonna say it looked like a homework question, and a poorly worded one at that?! But I decided to cancel before I posted, the OP is in Bangladesh, I didn't think there was such a thing as an Indian electrical qualification? lol, or is that just me being really ill informed? A mate of mine was working out there and he seemed to think that there wasn't even a code of practice for wiring in India???

I'm glad you said that Tony, I was gonna say it looked like a homework question, and a poorly worded one at that?! But I decided to cancel before I posted, the OP is in Bangladesh, I didn't think there was such a thing as an Indian electrical qualification? lol, or is that just me being really ill informed? A mate of mine was working out there and he seemed to think that there wasn't even a code of practice for wiring in India???

Bangladesh is a country - it is not in India. Perhaps you are thinking of Bangalore? Lol

My question is simple-

For that LT panel- I have selected 4 pole ACB and MCCB, I need technical clarification of selecting such type of CB

so my question no 1- what are the advantages of using 4 pole CB rather than 3 pole CB?

and question no 2- if I select 3 pole- what are the disadvantages of 3 pole CB rather than 4 pole CB..

Reply to 4 pole vs 3 pole switches/breaker in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net