400V Lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 400V Lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Little79

Hi,
Doing a different job I found the following system and wanted to know little more if anyone could help explain it?
There are six 2kW football pitch flood lights, each being supplied a two core swa, which then supplys the ballast. What would the regs say? Is it ok to supply without a neutral? etc

Hi,
Doing a different job I found the following system and wanted to know little more if anyone could help explain it?
There are six 2kW football pitch flood lights, each being supplied a two core swa, which then supplys the ballast. What would the regs say? Is it ok to supply without a neutral? etc

As these ballasts are designed to work on 400v without a neutral why would you want a neutral at the floodlights?

Thanks for the reply, its not really a subject I know much about hence asking the questions to improve my knowledge. I was hopeing to understand the design of the installation.
So if the supplied equipment works with out a neutral there is no requirement to include it as a conductor to the source of the ballast? There is also no form of isolation at the towers, I would assume there should be provided isolation at each tower for maintence.
Sorry if some people find this simple and dont see why I'm asking but like most things some people know more than others in certain subjects.

Thanks agian for any help

Is that 2 floodlights per tower?? Yes, you do need a means of isolation at each tower.
There are several ways to interconnect floodlight ballasts to work on 400/415volts, any chance of a photo of the control gear box??

It's a common method on large pitch lighting installations, the primary reasons are the resultant drop in current demand and lower voltage drop as a percentage.

OK, then they are 400volt rated ballasts... Often they are 2 x 230volt ballasts (for 2 floodlights) inter-connected to be supplied by 400volts... Next time your there then, perhaps a photo or two?? lol!!!

Reply to 400V Lighting in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net