5 core with LED downlights | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 5 core with LED downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

neil2jo

I only do domestic works and recently have taken work on for more 'designer houses'. the 'designers' who specify particualr goods etc have requested a few things, which hopefully are only clever words but would apprecaite any help/direction as to what they are saying in laymans terms

fire detection system to be designed by contractor to bs 5839 part1 type 2 which i Google then shows me 'BGU' which looks like a break glass fire alarm. the designer has shown lcoations for heat/smokes, this is a domestic house? what am i installing different from other houses, if anything?

also mention to LED downlights using 1-10v dimming using 5 core supply cable and specifies a certain designer light, which without a phone call has no PDF file/price etc. what are the 5 cores for, the rooms are small and compared to other properties quite small runs? phase (live), neutral and earth and...???

Any help apprecaited

You need two cores for the 1-10v controls , to be honest we tend to run a separate 2 core and not combine it with the mains .
This is just personal choice though .

???so given 1 of two ways i either place jb somewhere or behind the switch once i get from switch live in 230v to 1st transformer, why am i not hoping/looping from each transformer in 2 core or T&E 1.5mm or similar?
laymans terms i taking 1.5mm in 230v to each transformer/driver - each dedicated driver then is next to the downlight say 300mm away running the 12v?

having not used 5 core before for lighting Im not understanding the purpose? earth = 1 core get that, neutral (230) 1 core ok
then each driver requires 230 live (3rd core) from each driver; which there is only a max of 6 d/light for any 1 loop in the deisgn; so how am i utilising the other 2 cores. from the driver output it changes to 12v L+N which can be run in 3 core direct to light fitting/lamp

If you can offer a link to any drawing (practical thinker) that would help

many thanks for initial reply

i have seen the odd led's in commercial places using 5 cores - these are for colour changing led's though, where you can select the colour or use a colour changing pattern. Might not be the same but if you look at the led strips you get, they are also ran in 5 cores. You need to go back to the designer and see exactly what he wants.

Re the fire alarms, you are right in thinking that he has spec'd a full fire alarm system - which is fairly pointless in a house as even with fancy break glasses - they will look naff! Stick to interlinked smokes and heat alarms

i have seen the odd led's in commercial places using 5 cores - these are for colour changing led's though, where you can select the colour or use a colour changing pattern. Might not be the same but if you look at the led strips you get, they are also ran in 5 cores. You need to go back to the designer and see exactly what he wants.

Re the fire alarms, you are right in thinking that he has spec'd a full fire alarm system - which is fairly pointless in a house as even with fancy break glasses - they will look naff! Stick to interlinked smokes and heat alarms

Beware as if a fire alarm system has been specified and you fit smokes you could end up changing it to the full fire alarm system as specified at your own cost as you have not followed the specification.

If it is the system that i think it is then you will have mains looped in at each transformer and also feeding the switch which brings it down to 0-10 v then you have a separate two core looped in at each transformer on the control side , just reread your post and i now think this may not be the system they are requesting ?
Can you put up more information or drawings so that we can be sure.

Fire alarm for domestic dwellings, will either be BS5839 part 6 Grade D where you can use interlinked mains smokes and heat, or Grade A which will be control panel and hard wired system. Rule of thumb is once premises are over 2 floors then its grade A. As for breakglass units they are not required in domestic dwellings unless it is converted into individual bedsits of rooms

Be very careful with the dimmable LED's! We had a job before in which it was decided afterwards that Dimmable LED's were going to be used. It's only because we had access above that we could acheive it. We needed alot more cores at the switch than we had.

My advice to you is contact the manufactures and get concrete confirmation from them exactly whats required.

your fire detection is normal domestic mains powered smoke alarms interlinked wired to your design drawings
i would call the architect to see what the lighting and control spec is he has chosen (they dont bite they appreciate you calling them to get it correct first time) :21:

Do be careful about the smokes , I had my yearly visit the other day and the NAPIT chap told me about a job where someone assumed the same but it was necessary under the fire regs to put in a full system with a panel

Reply to 5 core with LED downlights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net