???? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross1

-
Reaction score
Morning guys,

Can someone clear this up for me please?

I am competent enough to issue a PIR although I am only registered as a DI with the NIC. Can I carry out a PIR for a "to let property".

I think I should be able to as I am "COMPETENT" enough.

Would really like to know your thoughts on this.

If you know enough to do an EICR and can prove your competence then you can do them anywhere in any type of property, there's no law to say you can do them only in certain places

If the Op asks advice about doing basic domestic PIRs/EICRs then the Op is showing a lack of experience, wouldn't you say?
Do you think it is then wise to put into the mind of the OP that he may be capable to PIR any type of installation?

As far as I'm concerned, competence is measured by experience and qualification and I would be reticent to suggest a person who can perform PIRs on basic single phase installations would be competent to PIR other types of Installations

I would say that while domestic properties are usually single phase with a maximum demand of 100A and breaking capacities of less than 2kA, but that this is not so with industrial and commercial properties. where a variety of methods of protection are employed

There are statutory requirements for operatives to be competent, such as EAWR 1989 and HASAWA 1974 with its various bolted on amendments, although these appear not to be preemptive as with Building regulations

With any PIRs/EICRs the Op would be wise to have Professional Indemnity insurance in place before he starts.

Do you think it is then wise to put into the mind of the OP that he may be capable to PIR any type of installation?

As far as I'm concerned, competence is measured by experience and qualification and I would be reticent to suggest a person who can perform PIRs on basic single phase installations would be competent to PIR other types of Installations

I completely agree, I'm just saying there's no person or scheme that will say you can do them in a house but not in a shop (that I know of).

I'd like to think some of us would not get our intentions mixed up with our capabilities, and not push yourself into carrying out EICR's on installs that are beyond our knowledge. Unfortunately there's many that do and sometimes get it wrong... I've made plenty of mistakes in the past and I'm sure to make more and will now not attempt something I'm uncomfortable with.

Its a tricky one. We all need to develop our skills and broaden our horizons. and for many of us sometimes we have to push the envelope to get the necessary experience.
When working for an electrical company, one would hope that the more experienced electricians working for the same company would be able to advise and support the less experienced. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen so much when working for yourself and so the opportunities to get the necessary experience are somewhat ad hoc.

I'd recommend that the Op finds someone to work alongside while building up the necessary experience for PIRing.
I certainly wouldn't entertain starting work on any PIR/EICR without the necessary PII.

the fact of the matter is....is that anyone can undertake EICRs...you need to be COMPETENT...and needing to be in a scheme is a myth....1 way of showing competency would be to hold relevent certs...such as the 2391...but there again.....theres a lot of perfectly competent, capable guys out there that dont hold this qual....but are still capable of carrying out EICRs....its the experience that counts here....knowing whats in front of you and being able to assess whether its still good for continued service...or not.....

Reply to ???? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net