60a main fuse upgrade | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 60a main fuse upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening All

Ive got a residential house on a 60a cut out fuse being changed to a 6 bed HMO with 6x 8.5kw en-suite showers.
Im am waiting for a quote from the DNO about upgrading the supply from 60-100a.

I am thinking of useing 2x 3way Garo non priority sub DB's for the showers to reduce the loading so only 2x showers can be run at any one time.

I am hopeing that the DNO cable is man enough and its only a case of changing the fuse.

If not then i may as well get a 3ph supply and do away with the 2x Garo boards.

Any one got examples of cost differences between 1ph and 3ph cable upgrades ?
Im assuming it would then be a 3ph x 100a supply or do they do a 3ph x 60a

Any good ideas or tips very welcome

Much love

Eddie

The costs are normally in the groudworks to replace the cable, not the cable itself, so there's limited difference 1ph to 3ph - BUT - be prepared for the DNO to use this as an excuse to claim they need to replace half the cables in the area to facilitate that extra 40 amps. I had this on a job last year - needed to move an intake a couple of meters, DNO 'young buck' surveyor came along and quoted £15k to the developer due to claiming to need to re-lay the whole street. I left it a couple of months and then made a fresh enquiry under my business instead, had a chat with the senior area DNO engineer on the phone, he 'popped to site for a coffee while passing' and the job got done two weeks later for minimum charge at £400ish

The costs are normally in the groudworks to replace the cable, not the cable itself, so there's limited difference 1ph to 3ph - BUT - be prepared for the DNO to use this as an excuse to claim they need to replace half the cables in the area to facilitate that extra 40 amps. I had this on a job last year - needed to move an intake a couple of meters, DNO 'young buck' surveyor came along and quoted £15k to the developer due to claiming to need to re-lay the whole street. I left it a couple of months and then made a fresh enquiry under my business instead, had a chat with the senior area DNO engineer on the phone, he 'popped to site for a coffee while passing' and the job got done two weeks later for minimum charge at £400ish
I've long held the theory that DNO quotes are made by pulling random numbers out of a hat. I've asked for re quotes on several occasions, and, like for the above, it's difficult to believe they're quotes for the same job, as they vary so widely.
Last job I had quotes for on my own property went from free to £4000 to £3000 and finally back to free.

I've long held the theory that DNO quotes are made by pulling random numbers out of a hat. I've asked for re quotes on several occasions, and, like for the above, it's difficult to believe they're quotes for the same job, as they vary so widely.
Last job I had quotes for on my own property went from free to £4000 to £3000 and finally back to free.
I'm awaiting a quote for an upgraded 11KV which involves about 2000m of new triplex cable. Oh and of course the existing RMU will need replacing as well??.

God Damn that is quite a difference. Really hopeing i get a decent surveyor

Reply to 60a main fuse upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net