8ft fluorescents | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 8ft fluorescents in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ipf

-
Mentor
Nearly Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a replacement to do in a works, new fitting on site but it's the last one available. Loads of 8fts in use in the building, most fitted on lighting trunking or conduit systems. Future replacements will, obviously, have to be 6ft. It's been bugging me for a while now, why they don't make a 6ft with 4ft centres?

can you not just repair the fittings that are up in place..!!
Not looked into that yet DS. Not many gone down but most of them are getting on a bit. May be worth looking into but I think there may be probs getting the correct ballasts and prices if available. Interesting though. Cost effectiveness is the thing that springs to mind.

There is a twin 4ft kit you can get that comes with a linking kit and centre support that is a replacment for the eight foot tube.
I had not heard of it until i went to one of my clients who was approached but a company that supplies and changes them for you.
They have about a hundred 8ft fittings and with these new tubes can save about 25% on the usage as they are T5.
Not sure where to get the kit yet or how much it costs and obviously the light output is not the same but as triphosphor the light is a bit whiter.
Don't seem too bad if you have a load of fittings and don't want to change to 6ft.
Anyone else come across these yet.

Not seen that one yet but tried a 6ft with an extension. It was the works managing directors idea. What a load of c***. First one broke assembling it, second has been in for a couple of months. It sags at the joint and has to be nudged, usually with a sweeping brush, to get it started. £20 plus, too.

Don't think this was the same company but there are quite a few if you google that do conversions now and they are registered with the carbon trust so the client can get a grant to pay some of it if they run a lot in a office/factory etc.
I think more are springing up since the new electrical usage levy is hiiting a lot of commercial customers now and have had there bills doubled with it.

adapT5 - T5 RETROFIT CONVERSION KITS

Not seen that one yet but tried a 6ft with an extension. It was the works managing directors idea. What a load of c***. First one broke assembling it, second has been in for a couple of months. It sags at the joint and has to be nudged, usually with a sweeping brush, to get it started. £20 plus, too.

We had the same experience with them, had a company in that fitted them as a trial, have since taken them down and replaced with 6ft fittings.

Not the ones I've seen. When changing the tube you've got a second part to line up whilst up a ladder, plus as the other poster mentioned they sag at the joint and look like they're going to fall out. They fit into the original end caps, which on ours are probably around 25-30 years old in some cases and have become pretty brittle. They also cost more than a new replacement fitting.

I think you are refering to the convertors that CEF do (or did). Can't remember the brand now, but I fitted a few and thought they were okay. The 8ft was tricky, but saves a wedge once up. Best value were the 5fts

Reply to 8ft fluorescents in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net