A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign | Page 27 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well hats off Richard Ottaway MP - he's going to speak to Minister in charge of consumer product safety at BIS about this matter. Will scan letter as there's more info in there when I get a chance over the weekend.

Thanks Tony, hopefully this will work....
[ElectriciansForums.net] A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign
If it's a large file it won't. I load mine on to PhotoBucket (it's free) it can then be linked to here.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign
    Image_zps8f2c4696.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 94
Many thanks.
Got a newborn and was not going to follow the lead of some friends by getting these.

However had no idea that they were dangerous as well as being a waste of money.
Tx

Hi to all, just seen this topic and I can remember an NICEIC assessor telling me to super glue one of the socket covers in to a socket to make it safer...? Has anyone contacted OFSTED? I tried to contact them last year about no electrical assessment that was required when they assessed a new child minder. I guess OFSTED consider that electrical safety is not important !

I've been banging the drum on these for ages. I always demonstrate how safe UK sockets are, until you put one of these 'protectors' in, upside down or otherwise. I annoys me that these are sold on the premise of safety, scaring parents in to buying them. The best description I have for these things, is that they are like keeping a loaded gun for your own protection, only to have it used against you.

Hi to all, just seen this topic and I can remember an NICEIC assessor telling me to super glue one of the socket covers in to a socket to make it safer...? Has anyone contacted OFSTED? I tried to contact them last year about no electrical assessment that was required when they assessed a new child minder. I guess OFSTED consider that electrical safety is not important !

Ofsted have no expertise in electrical safety and, to be fair, they do not claim that they do. It used to be the case that individual Ofsted inspectors, acting from ignorance (and a near superstitous belief in socket covers) would tell child minders and nurseries that they should be using socket covers, it used to be a very common comment in inspection reports. Back in 2008 Ofsted confirmed to me that they required sockets to be safe, but had no official position on socket covers. I did get them to ensure that inspectors knew that they should not reccomend socket covers. The most recent guidance from them that I know about is to be found here in a newsletter to inspectors, see page 11:
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/other-publications/e/Early%20years%20September%202011.pdf

Please refer any nurseries and childminders you deal with to FatallyFlawed website, www.fatallyflawed.org.uk and also the “Wiring Matters” article at: http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/44/wall-socket-protectors.cfm?type=pdf

Back in November Terminator mentioned the letter which John Madden wrote to Wiring Matters (Issue 45) in response to the Mark Coles article on this subject. The printed version of Wiring Matters Issue 46 is just out and includes my formal response letter. The new issue is not yet online, but my letter can be seen at www.shocked.org.uk - the letter as published is slightly shorter due to space issues.

Please keep the campaign going!

Best wishes to all,
David

I read that, and the statement from Ofsted on the matter. With lives at stake, and ignorance seemingly having the upper hand presently, let's hope this matter gets some legislation sooner rather than later. When I see them, particularly when I see them at my children's nursery/school, it takes all my inner strength not to explode like some lunatic.

I left a note above a socket with covers on at a kids play place in Stockport the other day pointing out that they're not as safe as they may think and your web address.
I'll see if they've taken notice next time I go.

I went in B&Q the other day and they still sell these crap items, I pointed out the dangers to a member of staff he said Hmmmmm I also noticed that with the cheap extension leads they sell it's possible to insert a plug top into the socket upside down exposing the L and N. It doesn't happen with a better quality extension leads as the body of the socket is larger preventing the plug top being inserted upside down. The cheap ones had a BS number stamped on it, I'll check out the BS number the next time I go in and do some research.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back