About to buy a flat - should these electrics be condemned? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss About to buy a flat - should these electrics be condemned? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

n_tag

So I'm about to buy my first flat in a 1970's purpose built block. I do have a sparky coming to look over it next week but wanted to get some other opinions first - a friend has told me he thinks it will need a full rewire (eek!)

What do you think:

[ElectriciansForums.net] About to buy a flat - should these electrics be condemned?

[ElectriciansForums.net] About to buy a flat - should these electrics be condemned?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont go worrying about worst case as it may test out ok but require c.u. upgrade Get a full PIR done and ask the spark we arent all doom n gloom scare mungers ( like certain flyers ) a good honest opinion and PIR is whats required

only the dead tests. continuity and insulation. these will give a good idea of the state of the wiring and should be enough to decide any necessary work. obviously, live testing will need to be carried out, at some stage.

That's a fair old electrical installation you have there for a Flat!!! And i see the main supply in, is via MICC cable. That'll stop most of the worriers from bunging in 35mm tails ....just to be on the safe side!! lol!!!

I doubt very much that you will need any form of rewiring, at most an upgrading of the CUs to incorporate MCBs/RCDs or RCBOs. I take it, the second smaller CU is for Off Peak storage heaters, so i take it no gas in the flat.

Anyway, as suggested wait until the electrician has inspected and tested your flat and see what he has to say about your installation. Then let us know here.

Thanks for the pic's Things make much more sense when you can see what is being talked about. ...lol!!!

Looks like an old ex council flat with 2 fuseboards ie one for the day to day electrics and the other for the off peak ie storage heater is this correct. Also looks like a lot of conduits so I takee it there is concrete floors ?

Like the guys said get a PIR done you find it will pass because apart from the fuse covers it looks ok one thing to consider is before you start any decor you may want o upgrade the fuseboards to RCD and circuit breakers.

PS thanks for the pictures it make things a lot easy

Reply to About to buy a flat - should these electrics be condemned? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar threads

• Question
Best Electrical Courses I endeavour to create a "best electrical courses" thread for 2025 (so training courses that did well during 2024 are the...
Replies
Views
Thanks all for your comments, advice and suggestions. The following is probably pretty boring for most, and is simply a summary of how the job...
Replies
Views

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back