Adding 100 Amp Subpanel | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Adding 100 Amp Subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, new member here with a question. I am adding a 100 amp subpanel to my 200 amp main panel. They are next to each other and recessed in wall. I have been getting different answers to my question "What size wire to I need to feed my 100 Amp Subpanel?". I would be using copper wire. Can someone give me a definitive answer.?

@Megawatt will know what the usa cable size required is. i can tell you what would be required in the uk.

Hi, new member here with a question. I am adding a 100 amp subpanel to my 200 amp main panel. They are next to each other and recessed in wall. I have been getting different answers to my question "What size wire to I need to feed my 100 Amp Subpanel?". I would be using copper wire. Can someone give me a definitive answer.?
My friend you need 3 # 3 copper wire and one # 6 copper for your ground wire

Thanks you for your input. I contacted my local electrical supply and they acted like they have never heard of #3 and do not stock it. If I downsize to #4, what size breaker should I use?
On a single family dwelling you can use # 4 THHN copper for 200 amps. I find it strange that they have never heard of # 3 THHN copper. You can buy that at Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck
Thanks you for your input. I contacted my local electrical supply and they acted like they have never heard of #3 and do not stock it. If I downsize to #4, what size breaker should I use?
use a 100 amp breaker. The code will let you derate wire size on a single family dwelling, knowing that you are never going to pull that many amps

On a single family dwelling you can use # 4 THHN copper for 200 amps. I find it strange that they have never heard of # 3 THHN copper. You can buy that at Home Depot or Lowes. Good luck

use a 100 amp breaker. The code will let you derate wire size on a single family dwelling, knowing that you are never going to pull that many amps
Great, thanks for your reply. I have a picky inspector and did not want any issues.

Reply to Adding 100 Amp Subpanel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net