Adding an outlet on the back patio | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Adding an outlet on the back patio in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add a TV to my patio and curious about the power situation. My question is - there is a ceiling fan mounted in the ceiling, could I add an outlet using the power wire going to the fan or would I have to pull a new wire to the breaker. I assume it depends on the amperage of the breaker, and what other things are wired to that leg but I'm just curious. Licensed plumber, but admittedly don't know enough about electricity to make that call. And really wanted to just know the scope of it so I can judge if I want to do it myself or get an electrician to do it. Thanks!

I'm wanting to add a TV to my patio and curious about the power situation. My question is - there is a ceiling fan mounted in the ceiling, could I add an outlet using the power wire going to the fan or would I have to pull a new wire to the breaker. I assume it depends on the amperage of the breaker, and what other things are wired to that leg but I'm just curious. Licensed plumber, but admittedly don't know enough about electricity to make that call. And really wanted to just know the scope of it so I can judge if I want to do it myself or get an electrician to do it. Thanks!
You are correct, just tie into the fan and add your receptacle and it is required to be GFCI with a bubble cover and use # 12 wire

Reply to Adding an outlet on the back patio in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

• Question
Will it work? Yes. Will the trailer burst into flames? No. But code allows a remote structure (trailer) to be powered with ONE circuit, which...
Replies
Views
Thanks for your reply. But, does the NEC allow me to comingle outlets in an attached garage with devices in the house, such as a ceiling fan, on...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Yes you will need to install # 4 wiring times 4 for your 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. As for keeping the grounds and neutrals...
Replies
Views
socket outlets are designed to power one appliance. if you only ever plug one thing in to each outlet you are pretty well guaranteed not to be...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I'm familiar with many domestic extractor fans which are primarily class 2 (double insulated) and consequently are not required to be earthed...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks