Adding test switch to emergency lighting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Adding test switch to emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Solutions
Reaction score
I’m at the funeral directors clients at the moment testing their EM lights.
Only the newer lights I put in have a test switch fitted.
I’ll be recommending addition lights in the WC and staff rooms. Pitch dark in there.

There are 2 other EM lights above exit doors… they have been replaced in the past with LED, but there is no, and never has been, a local test switch. I’ve had to isolate the circuits completely.

Is there a product that can be fitted to the emergency light itself to facilitate a test switch?
Something like a panel mount button, but using a key? Like a test switch key rather than a key key… if you know what I mean.

There’s 20mm knockouts on the fittings, so easy enough to add one on.
I could of course, mount a normal pattress box and key switch… but that seems a bit more work.

We have these type in the office. Not seen a panel mounted one for a 20mm knockout, but will check.
[ElectriciansForums.net] Adding test switch to emergency lighting

That’s what was fitted when they built the new mortuary. Closed room, no windows. I’ve got an exit light above the door, plus one of the ceiling batons has an EM pack in it.

There’s a staff room, storage room and another room where they add the handles etc to the coffins… all with no windows, so they need emergency lighting fitted, along with the wc.

I can fit in a test switch to them, but it’s the original doors. Fittings mounted on the old steel conduit box. I suppose it’s easy enough to extend from there down to a key switch.

I can’t just put in a simple push button.. it needs to be a key used by “trained personnel”

I don't know if there is a reg against using a bog-standard '2 position sprint return' key switch.

and able to be switched to carry out duration tests.

Every day a learning day.
I was thinking of the 'spring return' thing as it would be just a quick test needed.

Yes… I’m testing for an hour… so needs to be an on/off.

There must be some reg concerning a “key” You don’t want untrained staff turning off the em lights along with the room.

Be easy enough to put a pattress next to the lights in question… doesn’t have to be lightswitch height.

As this thread has been pretty much resolved, I can't help but ask what need a funeral director's clients have for emergency lighting?
It’s for the staff, not the guests

The side rooms are pitch dark with no lights at all on… someone will fall over a chair or something if they can’t see.

Side note - I’m fitting a lot of self testing units these days. After a right TU with faulty pcbs they seem to be working well.

How does the self test units work? Do they turn off themselves, then write up a report for you?

🤨
Yes they turn themselves off every week for an hour and every year for 3 hours.
They show a green LED if they passed the last test, and a flashing red led if they failed the last test.

Reply to Adding test switch to emergency lighting in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net