additional earth connection on sb 3800 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss additional earth connection on sb 3800 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

paulsamuel1984

I am installing an SB 3800 and it has an additional earth connection for equipotential bonding. Are installers using this additional connection for equipotential bonding. Is this required?

From what you have described, you do not need to bond your array framework as you have an isolating transformer in your inverter. Your terminology is confusing. Array frameworks get bonded (if required), inverters get earthed (assuming a Class 1 device).

From your comments you have not read the decision tree on bonding in the DTI Guide. It is important to do so.

Regards
Bruce

Apologies Bruce, I am not being very clear. I originally posted the query regarding an inverter with an isolating transformer. I then asked the same question regarding a transformerless inverter. As it is a TN-C-S system, I am aware that I need to bond the array to a separate earth spike.

My question (more clearly I hope!!) is that there is a secondary earth connection on the transformerless inverter. In what circumstances do I need to utilise this secondary earthing terminal.

Thanks.

I stand by to be corrected, but I do not think you do have to use it in this country. The inverters are sold all over the world and so they make them able to meet all the various 'codes'. I suppose if the inverter was outside and you wanted to make a local TT system, then you might use it?

Regards
Bruce

Reply to additional earth connection on sb 3800 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net