Additional Socket in Kitchen and RCD's | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Additional Socket in Kitchen and RCD's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BMW

Hi
I have been asked to put in another socket in a kitchen for a washing machine. Now we are taking 1m of 2.5 clipped in a cupboard however the property does not have any RCD protection. The board is old with them plug in MCB's. Now for reasons to complicated to detail I have no room to install a RCB to protect the whole house and the customer does not want a new Distribution board.

Now according to the regs any additional to a ring main must have RCD protection so I was at the point of saying sorry just cant do it however, on close inspection I noted 411.3.3. Does this mean if I cut the plug off the washing machine and terminated into a fused spur I could get away with no RCD? It would then be a dedicated point for a fixed appliance and nothing else could be used from this point.

Any thoughts? or do I walk away.

Cheers

Is the cable a surface run? If so I would install the socket and complete the MWC stating that its for the washing machine use. Not RCD protected.

What about the bonding and notification?

Many thanks
Yes the cable is surface but in a cupboard clipped. Bonding is 6mm I think but I can put that plus 'washing machine use only' on the MWC as customer will not pay for any upgrading.

Many thanks

Hi
I have been asked to put in another socket in a kitchen for a washing machine. Now we are taking 1m of 2.5 clipped in a cupboard however the property does not have any RCD protection. The board is old with them plug in MCB's. Now for reasons to complicated to detail I have no room to install a RCB to protect the whole house and the customer does not want a new Distribution board.

Now according to the regs any additional to a ring main must have RCD protection so I was at the point of saying sorry just cant do it however, on close inspection I noted 411.3.3. Does this mean if I cut the plug off the washing machine and terminated into a fused spur I could get away with no RCD? It would then be a dedicated point for a fixed appliance and nothing else could be used from this point.

Any thoughts? or do I walk away.

Cheers

No requirement in the Regs to provide RCD protection to an addition to a RFC, unless it's a circuit of a location containing a bath or shower.
You don't need to be cutting plugs off either.
Run the cables on the surface, in trunking or clipped direct, install socket-outlet.
Fill in MEIWC collect money and notify.
Job done.

No requirement in the Regs to provide RCD protection to an addition to a RFC, unless it's a circuit of a location containing a bath or shower.
You don't need to be cutting plugs off either.
Run the cables on the surface, in trunking or clipped direct, install socket-outlet.
Fill in MEIWC collect money and notify.
Job done.

Hi can I just ask, if the cable is clipped direct does the circuit not require rcd protection at source ? Seems to me it's more vulnerable to physical damage.

Reply to Additional Socket in Kitchen and RCD's in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net