Additional Socket | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Additional Socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Alasdair82

Is it ok to run the wire for an additional socket (spur) on an external wall outside from one internal socket to another to avoid damaging interiors. So the cable would exit out the back of one interior socket (existing) to the outside wall, run along the outside wall in conduit and then back inside again to the new socket location? Or use SWA instead of cable in conduit.

The customer does not want any mess inside and I agree that trunking looks bad

As far as the regs go I cannot see any problem with it as long as the cable is for external use or run in conduit. The circuit is already RCD protected (30ma) and the cable route would not be likely the be damaged or require mechanical protection.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
No problem as long as he doesn't want his outside wall spoiling. Might have some probs terminating if swa, though.

Thanks to all with the comments. As suggested SWA would be hard to terminate. Good point on the water ingress as well. Appreciate the sensible replies.

If it was my house I would not want ugly looking conduit if it could be helpped. Rather it be chased out internally but if the customer is happy that you can save him the cost then that's his prerogative.
I would do it for a mate if they wanted to but if another guy says to him who done that..... I would not want him to say me TBH. but yeah you can do it.

I agree that it is not best practice and I would always prefer it chased myself. But unfortunately our customers wants and needs cannot all be met without compromising on something (usually decor). But that is why they should think about getting electrics done before redecorating!

I reckon that'd look pretty awful TBH - you can chase the cables in the internal walls, plaster and decorate over them, which is much harder to do with an external wall once you've covered it with cables. Plus there may well be cavity walls to go through twice.

Reply to Additional Socket in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net