Additional sockets on stud wall. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Additional sockets on stud wall. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I will soon be adding some (2 or 3) additional sockets to an existing timber stud and plasterboard partition wall, and had some questions about mounting the back boxes:
  • Can a metal back box be “side-mounted” to a timber stud? Ie, drill holes through the side wall of the back box instead of using the pre-drilled holes in the rear wall?
  • Would this provide sufficient for a double back box?
  • Are there any regulations around how back boxes are mounted?
  • Is it okay to leave the pre-drilled holes in the rear unused?
The existing sockets on this wall are secured to horizontal noggings which span the gap between timber studs, but these were obviously strategically placed when the wall was constructed, and there are no such beams placed behind where the new sockets will go. I know you can get plastic back boxes specifically for hollow/plasterboard walls which is an alternative option, but my preference is for metal back boxes if possible.

As for the wiring, it’s a 2.5mm ring main with 20A MCB. I plan to either add a 13A fused spur or possibly extend the ring main, I haven’t decided yet. There is insulation in between the two plasterboard surfaces which explains why the circuit has a 20A MCB rather than 32A.

My final question:
  • Does the cable (which will run horizontally directly between sockets at the same height) need to be secured in any way, or can it simply be “loose” behind the plasterboard? (Obviously ensuring it is within the permitted zone defined by the sockets)
I would inspect the current installation and follow the same standard but ideally don’t want to cut more holes in the plasterboard than necessary!

Appreciate any advice, or pointers on what else I might have missed, thanks!

TL;DR
Can metal back boxes be side-mounted?
Can cables run “loose” inside stud wall with insulation?

Reply to Additional sockets on stud wall. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net