Advice needed regarding sealing? Or Are these tiles faulty? Discussion Thread | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice needed regarding sealing? Or Are these tiles faulty? Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net

Advice needed regarding sealing? Or Are these tiles faulty?

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them professionally laid. At the time I asked if they needed sealing. The tiler told me since they were ceramic (not porcelain or natural stone) they didn't need to be sealed.

B&Q website states these are glazed which put my mind at rest.

They've been down a week and they're terrible. They seem to attract dirt, soak up marks and every shoe print/scuff etc.Worst part is they are un-moppable. I've tried every type of mop/cleaner and they stick like velcro to the tile surface.

I chose these because they best matched the existing floor tiles having had to re-tile half of the kitchen where the tiles had started to crack and lift (where incorrect adhesive had been used on the wooden subfloor area).

But these new tiles are going to look totally different because they're totally impractical and incredibly difficult to clean.

I would like advice with the following please:

1. Despite being described as glazed, would sealing solve the staining problem? Or if they are glazed will it just peel off?
2. What sealer is best to use for a DIY novice?
3. Will sealing them make them less sticky and easier to mop ?
4. Should I complain to the manufacturer or BnQ? - I dont really consider them fit for for the job. The surface feels chalky (but isn't dusty) so I dont think they have been sent out unglazed. But its nearly impossible to pass a mop over the floor. Feels like trying to wipe down paving slabs, and I dont want to be faced with the prospect of having to resort to a scrubbing brush on my knees every day.

Feeling really let down, I've had to wait 5 years to be able to repair this floor.
Any helpful advice or insight would be very much appreciated.

Advice needed regarding sealing? Or Are these tiles faulty? for the Original Article on Tiling Advice Forum

Reply to Advice needed regarding sealing? Or Are these tiles faulty? Discussion Thread in the Tilers Forums - UK Tiling Forum. area at ElectriciansForums.net