Advice needed | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice needed in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Arcanity

Hi everyone, need some advice

I currently work in retail, and have been thinking for some time of learning to become an electrician, which I originally wanted to do on leaving school. 10 years have passed, and I'm looking to make the change now whilst still "young" enough. I have looked into the private training companies, and have pretty much given up on them with course fees etc. I have been offered the opportunity to work with a local company as an electricians mate, whilst doing day release at college. I think I already know the answer, but I want to ask, Would I be really stupid to pass up this opportunity? I would really appreciate some feedback and thoughts. Thank you.

Do it! I would've killed for an opportunity like this when I started. I did eventually get some real world experience but not from the beginning of my course. Try and do it with local college not an expensive training provider. Doing it at college you get more classroom time.

Takes longer but if you've not got kids then take the money hit and time hit and do it.

If you think you've got the brain for it then do it! I wonder sometimes if I have the brain for it but that's another story...

If it's something you really want to do, then do it. Better to regret something you've tried than regret not having a go (with exceptions).
If you're on the career ladder at the moment though, just think hard before you give that up. In another ten years would you rather be running a shop or onsite, grafting?

You've got a golden oppertunity there....if an electrician is something you definitely want to be then you'd be a mug to pass this up.

On the other hand if you only think you possibily/maybe want to be an electrician and things are comfortable where your employed now then think very hard about it before ditching one for the other.

On the plus side if you make the choice to go for this i'd say there's a very good chance once you've completed your time you'll be in a far better position than most short course electricians when applying for a job as there's going to be an extreme shortage of job applicants in years to come who have done things 'the right way' (as many of us stuck up,snobby old gits call it).

In short....if electrician is your true vocation grab this oppertunity by the nackers and hang on for the ride (i'll add it's not a pre-requesite that you have to know how to spell...obviously)

Go for it that's the best route before someone grabs it companies are not taking on anyone at the moment plus you will be learning off electricians at work. Money might be rubbish for first few years but good investment at the end of it time served is what employers like to here.

have a look at the other threads on training,what you have been offered there is gold dust...theres many would kill to be in your shoes,go for it..

Many Thanks for all your replies. I have been so close to signing up with one of these private training companies, but keep getting put off by the "hard sell" technique. Have to say this forum is great, for people from all levels and backgrounds. Can see it being a valuable asset in the future!

Good luck get in there don't give the employer the impression your unsure they know that there are alot of people searching for places good money working as an electrician my dad is one. People on here moan there not earning enough we are in a recession it is bit crap at moment but the money is there you just have to work harder for it lol

Reply to Advice needed in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net