advice on pricing | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss advice on pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

BES

Hello
Went on my own start of year and find pricing jobs difficult. Im basing it at £15 a hour at moment dont want to be to gready this is ok with jobs i roughly know how long will take.but had a call out other day lost power on rfc in a house which was once converted to use as offices then back to residental rfc is covering up and downstair but not kitchen about 18 skts in all. Faulty mcb causing fault but when tested no continuity on neutral.and low ir reading along with various broken sockets. Installed 20 amp mcb to protect cable and get some power back on. I have told landlord by email the fault could be potentionaly dangerous and need investigating asap. He ask me for estimate to sort the problem as he has had fallout with his usual spark. Trouble is as you are aware fault finding can take 5min or all day so i dont know what to quote . This is a good opitunity as he owns a few houses so i want to get it right. Would really appricate advice . Thanks. Neil

I do not see how you can provide an estimate for fault finding as you have no idea of how long this will take.

Explain this to him and say you will charge him your hourly rate but make sure that you charge him more than £18.00 per hour.

Thanks flyingspark
Ill give him a ring tommorrow and expain this to him but i think he will ask for at least a rough idea and as i have said would like to keep him happy but dont want to work for nothing !!

as you nave recently started on your own, you will want to be competitive to attract clientele. to be honest, though, £15 is too low when you have overheads to cover. £20 is much nearer a sensible rate, as to the fault finding, you need to quote him an hourly rate. as flyingsparks says. could take an hour or all day. then there's putting it right after you've found the fault/s.

Thanks for advice guys. He said his normal spark has let him down a few times but who knows he hasnt paid me for callout yet ill but i only sent him invoice yesterday via email ill have a word and take your advice on rate. Still a big learning curve .he can only say no . Thanks again.

it might be an idea to agree a limit on time , say 2 -3 hours, then you'll ring him with an update and perhaps an idea of how much longer it may take.

So at £20 per hour your 1/2 day will only be £80.00 and I'd say that would be cheap.

I think you should start by suggesting that the minimum would be 2 hours - you're running a business, not a charity and once you set a low price increasing it could be tricky.

At the end of the day you don't want to be running around for a poor payer for £15 /hour

Quite a few very good threads here on rates and the logic behind them.

A lot depends on region, but in simplest terms you'd need to work twice as much to earn the same if your rates where £15 instead of £30. It is something you should get sorted ASAP, it could be tough to set yourself as a £30 an hour spark in your area, but its going to be nigh on impossible with existing clients to go from a £15 per hour spark to a £30 an hour spark.

Reply to advice on pricing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net