advice please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jamie s

i have finished 3 years of night school and now i'm ''fully qualified'', having finished c&g 2330. i have been doing work experience (for free) for nearly 2 years and fell very competent when carrying out electrical work. my problem being that i am being offered evening and weekend work including rewires but am unaware of what additional courses and qualifications i need to be able to legally carry out such work. when speaking to my former tutor he seems to want not much to do with me any more now that im not a paying student. i am not a full time electrician as i still work in mechanical engineering as i have not found the right job to make the switch yet but do want to do elec work in my free time. any help would be appreciated

Well if your being offered the work and you obviously feel competent to carry out, then carry it out.

If this work is domestic and they are rewires, and so notifiable you have a choice, either register with a scheme such as NICEIC?ELECSA?NAPIT and become self certified, or you can register each job that is notifiable to the Local Building control and pay their fees.

If it is Commercial/Industrial then you don't have to register with anyone, just do the work.

Of course whichever way you go make sure you have full PI insurance and if your doing design or EICR then PL is a good add on.

I think for the basic NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme it's roughly 500 pounds, but you can shop around and get cheaper ones, Stroma use to do it for half that price.

Building Fees vary from council to council, but I would guess and average fee would be 200 pounds per notifiable job, so you would save that on a 3rd job if you registered with a scheme.

All this I assume because your based in England or Wales

I think for the basic NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme it's roughly 500 pounds, but you can shop around and get cheaper ones, Stroma use to do it for half that price.

Building Fees vary from council to council, but I would guess and average fee would be 200 pounds per notifiable job, so you would save that on a 3rd job if you registered with a scheme.

All this I assume because your based in England or Wales
forget stroma Malcolm.....went to see em in person the other month......and what a useless set of gits they were n all........more interested in renewables they are.....well their in for a shock there as the renewables is falling.......i personally would go with elecsa....at least for the first year as they are good on the phone and you can notify the assessment work after you have been accepted onto the scheme.....unlike the NIC........

what it is....is you ask to join a scheme....napit, elecsa, NIC...whoever.....they will want a company name.....this is for yourself...........then any work that you do thats notifyable will be registered in the company name that you gave....so if you are working for a firm...but then wanted to do your own install.....say at weekends...then you would do it in your own company name......but just because you happen to work for a company during the weet dont mean nowt.....your OWN scheme registration will still be active........

Reply to advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net