Advice please | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bruceanthony

I gained my 17th edition a couple of years ago while working self employed as a upvc installer mainly conservatories with the aim of doing the electrical work myself (sockets, lights) but as like many others sadly there wasnt enough work out there to keep going so i took a full time job while doing the odd job for family and friends (nothing major mainly changing sockets, light switches) and now i would like to some how get back into it but every job i look at is for experienced electricians which means i have no chance of getting a job so what do i do? do i visit contractors around my local area and offer to work for free to gain the experience or go back to college and do a refresher course. Thanks and hopefully someone can give me some helpful advice.

Problem is 17th course is really easy to get so most employers know this and look for experience as in the average job you need a broad range of skills. If you are domestic you really need to understand how Part P works and get registered which brings you back to paper qualifications. Perhaps best to state what market you want to get a job in, i.e. Domestic, Industrial, general commercial and then get the necessary qualifications. Contacing a registered body like Napit might help you with advice as well. Good Luck

The 17th edition course is really there to update apprenticed electricians/electrical engineers on latest regs, not to replace an apprenticeship. If you are serious about an electrical career then you need to put yourself through some formal training or look for a company who will employ you as an electrical apprentice.

Problem is 17th course is really easy to get so most employers know this and look for experience as in the average job you need a broad range of skills. If you are domestic you really need to understand how Part P works and get registered which brings you back to paper qualifications. Perhaps best to state what market you want to get a job in, i.e. Domestic, Industrial, general commercial and then get the necessary qualifications. Contacing a registered body like Napit might help you with advice as well. Good Luck
if you are going to go with any of these scam membership schemes then better off with elecsa.....

Reply to Advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net