advice pleease | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss advice pleease in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

vonnie

-
Reaction score
new some advice about a problem with my cooker but cannot work out where I should post thread ??????

new some advice about a problem with my cooker but cannot work out where I should post thread ??????
Well... I have a multi function cooker - gas hobs and electric oven/grill. I had my kitchen done up a couple of years ago and brought this cooker to be fitted at the same time. (I live in a housing assoc house so the refurb was done by housing team). On the wall at the side of the cooker space there is a large electrical socket with a red switch which says cooker only on it. The guys said it would be better if they put another electrical socket in situated behind the cooker - which they done. Over the last 6 months or so the electrics on my cooker have worked intermittingly but gave up working completely a couple of weeks ago. I thought before I call out an electrician I would check that it wasn't just the fuse in the plug that had gone. However, when I pulled out my cooker to access the plug I shockingly found that the whole plug and socket was melted and burnt really badly - half the plug has gone and things exposed. I don't know whether it was a fault of the housing team that put the socket in or whether it is totally unrelated and I need to fork out for an electrician. If it was the housing fault then they should come and repair it for free. I do not earn much so do not want to pay for something that they did wrong. Any suggestions? (have tried to upload pic of plug but not worked). Thanks.

looks like the cooker should have been wired into the cooker switch and not on a plug. unless the cooker came with a plug top fitted. if so, it's their fault. also, if you are on the west/south west side of manchester, it's not too far for me to come and sort it for you.

looks like the cooker should have been wired into the cooker switch and not on a plug. unless the cooker came with a plug top fitted. if so, it's their fault. also, if you are on the west/south west side of manchester, it's not too far for me to come and sort it for you.

The load of the cooker/grill should not have been more than 3KW, however, fancy fitting a 13A skt behind the oven so you had to pull out the oven to check,
I would have fitted a 13A sw/f/spur, being accessible without pulling out the oven, say to one side in a unit, left or right hand side.
I would call out the Kitchen fitters and make them responsible for the repair.

thanks for responses - I think I will call them back out to get them to take responsibility and see what they say. I am amazed that it has not caused a fire! wish I could upload the pic for you to see.

Reply to advice pleease in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net