advise needed | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss advise needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 91027

Hi, recently moved into a house with shaving lights above the bathroom mirrors, one works and one doesn't. Changed the strip bulb and still no joy. Bought a whole new light, swapped it over, it was only blue and brown wire (no neutral) it still doesn't work :frown::frown::frown:. My question is basically what do I test? Will this shaving light all be connected to the main ceiling light? The lights on the fuse board are all under one switch, so assuming they are all connected together,does this sound right? Just need advise on what's the next step. Don't want to call in an electrical electrician for if it costs a fortune. Please advise, thanks

Hi, recently moved into a house with shaving lights above the bathroom mirrors, one works and one doesn't. Changed the strip bulb and still no joy. Bought a whole new light, swapped it over, it was only blue and brown wire (no neutral) it still doesn't work :frown::frown::frown:.
That statement is kinda scary. You've obviously got little knowledge of lighting wiring.
My question is basically what do I test? Will this shaving light all be connected to the main ceiling light?
Does the one shaving light that still works come on when you switch on the ceiling light?
The lights on the fuse board are all under one switch, so assuming they are all connected together,does this sound right? Just need advise on what's the next step. Don't want to call in an electrical electrician for if it costs a fortune. Please advise, thanks
When you're doing electrical work and you don't have the correct test equipment to prove isolation (the circuit is dead) rather switch off the entire electricity supply to the premises using the main isolator switch in the CU. It's much safer that way.

The thing with bathrooms is that they're considered 'special locations' in the electrical regs because if you get a shock in a bathroom you're statistically far more likely to get killed. There's a number of extra regulations and requirements that govern bathrooms to ensure the highest possible safety standards and for this reason I'm going to strongly suggest you get a sparky in to do this job for you. The earthing of the fitting is especially important in this location and it should be tested before the circuit is re-energised, you won't have the test equipment or the competence to do this. It may even work out cheaper in the long run because the wiring colours you've stated above are incorrect and, apart from getting a shock there's also a chance you're going to damage the fitting depending on what type it is.

as marvo says. get an electrician. it won't be an expensive fix. if you post your approx. location, one of us may be close and could have a look.

Reply to advise needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net