Advise needed | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

benkhowe

Firstly not sure if this is in the correct section, but hear goes. I paid to go to college evenings etc. I gained my 2377, 2382-12, part p they chucked a first aid in there too.

I am currently working in an office and it drives me crazy "cooped" up. I have no real electricians experience. The advise I seek is where do I go next some say 2392 and 2391. But in not sure, my current job pays really well so unsure of to pursue electricians career or not. I earn roughly 1800 after deductions. So where would the next move be for me? Is it worth the career move? I know many will not feel right saying how much they earn, but just seeking bit about of friendly advise really.

Look forward to your responses thanks.

Where you go next is up to you and what you want to do.
But if you want to get into it then I suggest you try to get some work as a mate on a weekend or something and see if you will actually enjoy it.

Wages vary area to area and job to Job so there is no easy way to tell if you would be better off, Ive known a maintenance spark earn 17k a year, another self employed getting 60k. Sure there will be some at even further extremes than those and many more in the middle.

first be prepared to spend 3 years , 2 evenings a week, at college to get core qualification. think it's 2365 now. then am2 and nvq3. the latter requires being employed in the trade. during the 3 years you will need to work as a trainee/mate for well less than you are earning now.

I wish you well,and hope you are lucky enough to end up earning a living doing something you love,but you may well need a lot more practical knowledge,to realise the importance of taught techniques versus actual obtained results...for example,values obtained and interpreted. For example,if someone said "is 1800 enough?" i would want to know is it pounds,yen,weekly or yearly? ...If that appears ----,tetchy or pedantic,your going to HATE the possible next 2 or 3 years learning,whether that is at a college or with an experienced spark. Good luck in your decision :bow:

As Tel said get yourself off to college for 3 years.... Please don't think for even a second that the above 2 qualifications (if indeed you can call either of them qualifications) make you anything close to being an electrician!!

As above the qualifications above are not good enough by them selfs to call your self a electrician just yet, you need to go to college and get a core qualification either the C&G 2365 or the C&G 2357 then go on to the am2 and nvq 3, hope this helps and i wish you luck either way.

This course looks like apprenticeship course being 24 not sure if it would work. What are people's view on 2392 or 2394/5 such a minefield

All testing and inspection courses.
As far as I know the 2392 is a level 2 course aimed at those who do not do inspection and testing and is designed as an introduction to testing for those without any core qualifications.
The 2394 and 2395 are level 3 and are aimed at those who already have competency and experience with inspection and testing.
The 2394 is initial verification and the 2395 is periodic inspection. These are arguably best done together in a joint course.

None of these courses however are a substitute for the core knowledge and theory that you will learn on the 2357. They are additional courses to further your advancement in the field.

Reply to Advise needed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net