Advise on electrical qualifications | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Advise on electrical qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

V

Volt_drop

Hello everyone,just recently joined and been working in the uk for the last 6 years in the electrical industry, currently i served my apprenticeship back my country but seems like the apprenticeship level that i had does not qualify for the same apprenticeship level here in the scotland which gives you access to a svq level 3.
My question for anyone whos willing to help is:
Im planning on carrying on working in the electrical industry but what steps should i take in order to get my qualifications since im a full time working technician as im getting confused with going through city and guilds 17th edition and going through svq level 3 and maybe hnc.
Also being a hands on experienced technician do i have to go through 2 years of studying for my svq's and possibly another 2 years for a hnc in electrical systems????

Thanks

Hi derek.
Thanks for your reply, the link you posted makes sense and gives me some clarity on the subject as well.

My biggest concern here is quite simple, i served my time as an apprentice back in my country(portugal for 4 full years)
I left my apprenticeship certificate in portugal and moved to scotland without it and ive been in trying to get in contact with the place where ive done my apprenticeship but thanks to the economy the company has gone bankrupt and no one back there can pass me either a copy or another certificate which doesnt make my life any easier.....been working here so far considering i would be on a good wage when im getting paid less than i should thanks to not having an aprenticeship certificate.
Experienc aint a problem for me, its the lack of paperwork that is doing my life slightly difficult when im trying to be a competent sparky rather than being just another foreigner here saying i can do the stuf when many cant!!

If i cant get my certificate will i be able to pay for a city and guilds 17th edition wiring regulations and get the exam done or are there any requirements before i cam jump into 17th edition???
Thanks for the help

Hi derek.
Thanks for your reply, the link you posted makes sense and gives me some clarity on the subject as well.

My biggest concern here is quite simple, i served my time as an apprentice back in my country(portugal for 4 full years)
I left my apprenticeship certificate in portugal and moved to scotland without it and ive been in trying to get in contact with the place where ive done my apprenticeship but thanks to the economy the company has gone bankrupt and no one back there can pass me either a copy or another certificate which doesnt make my life any easier.....been working here so far considering i would be on a good wage when im getting paid less than i should thanks to not having an aprenticeship certificate.
Experienc aint a problem for me, its the lack of paperwork that is doing my life slightly difficult when im trying to be a competent sparky rather than being just another foreigner here saying i can do the stuf when many cant!!

If i cant get my certificate will i be able to pay for a city and guilds 17th edition wiring regulations and get the exam done or are there any requirements before i cam jump into 17th edition???
Thanks for the help
a chimp off the street can just jump on this one...

somehow i think you will be allowed....

Surely you're best bet is to contact the institution that issued your electrical trade certificates, giving them full details of dates, apprenticeship company, certificates issued, technical college attended where training and qualifications/exams were sat etc.... You still need the UK's 17th certification though...

Reply to Advise on electrical qualifications in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net