AFDD's in Care Homes | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss AFDD's in Care Homes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Arms
Reaction score
I work in a care home. Recently we had some sockets installed. The Eaton DB's we have, will not accept AFDD's apparently, so the contractor fitted a AFDD in a metal module next to the DB.

I understand the reasoning for AFDD's in CH's, but one socket was for Sky Q equipment in a protective shaft, and cost us about £200. Our property is like a Village community with sleeping accommodation on ground floor with suites, first floor is care floor and second is more suites. So it falls into the regs, with both examples.

I need an outdoor socket installed for a small hoist, near the plant room, and some installed in a workshop, which is inside the main building. Is there any more guidance, or is just plan simple and they have to be installed. Guess we would need a conversation with our insurers if we didn't.

Does the Care Home operate a policy of, the contractor (of whatever field) says that's what we have to have, so it's automatically approved or do they employ either within, a Building Services Manager or retain an external consultancy (in all fields) to scrutinise proposed work?

Does the Care Home operate a policy of, the contractor (of whatever field) says that's what we have to have, so it's automatically approved or do they employ either within, a Building Services Manager or retain an external consultancy (in all fields) to scrutinise proposed work?
We do have consultancy, but not for such like. The question could be put to the UK property manager, I’m just wondering what you guys have been doing or advising. I read the regs say ‘in car homes’, but does not define it further.

Reply to AFDD's in Care Homes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net