Air compressor motor | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Air compressor motor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard

Hi, I have aquired an aircompressor to repair. I havn't got much experience of motors so go easy on me!

When I got it, i was told that it kept blowing 13a fuses. Fair enough, i opened the cover the capacitor had a melted hole in it. This was accompanied by a load of choc blocks - so someone has obviously been potching.

• So, I need to identify what sort of motor I have - and seen as it has a capacitor, I assume a Capacitor Start motor?
  • The capacitor shows continuity when I put the continuity tester on it - should this be the case/cause the fault?
  • When I striped it out, I am left with 2 pairs of cables. Both seem the same size and are coloured red and yellow. I don't seem to have continuity on either pair - What would these be? and should there be continuity?
  • Should there be some type of thermal overload on the motor?
Thank you in advance, and I can take as many more photos as your require.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Air compressor motor[ElectriciansForums.net] Air compressor motor[ElectriciansForums.net] Air compressor motor[ElectriciansForums.net] Air compressor motor[ElectriciansForums.net] Air compressor motor

had problems with these before. if used on a long extension lead, the motor won't start due to volt drop and consequently burns out through being powered up stalled. only answer was a new motor. replaced 2kw clarke unit with 3kw for £90. problem solved

had problems with these before. if used on a long extension lead, the motor won't start due to volt drop and consequently burns out through being powered up stalled. only answer was a new motor. replaced 2kw clarke unit with 3kw for £90. problem solved

Is there anyway I can test the motor with a meter?

you should get a fairly low ohms reading off each winding. the lower reading i think is the main winding.then if so, IR them to earth. Capacitor should not show continuity

if i rem correctly, the main winding is directly across L & N. one side of the start winding goes to N and the other thru the Cap. to L. If rotation is wrong way, reverse the start winding connections

Reply to Air compressor motor in the Electrician Talk | All Countries area at ElectriciansForums.net