AMD 3,16mm tails and isolating sw for domestic | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss AMD 3,16mm tails and isolating sw for domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilko

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi - got a job at an older 2br house to change out fusebox for CU. I haven't pulled the fuse but think it's likely 60A (common in area and place had gas CH and HW), recent smart meter and it's TNCS. It's got 16mm tails and less than 3m between meterbox outside front door and fuseboard at head level just inside. Tails are in good condition from what I can see and I hadn't planned to replace them (?). Meter has seal. Can't seem to recall about fuse seal.

First question - existing tails may not have slack to neatly position them within the new CU, as it's twice the size of the fuse board. If so, I was thinking to install an isolator in the meter box to give a kickoff for new slightly longer 16mm tails as this avoids touching the meter. Sound ok so far?

Next question - do I use metal or plastic for the isolator in the meter box ? If the cutout was inside I'd be using metal, but I'd also probably have a lot more room. Or if it needs new tails should I get Customer to order up an isolator from SSE (who will likely use a neat little plastic one) ?

Any suggestions welcomed, thanks :)

As regards the issue of metal or plastic isolator in meter box, I asked my schemes (Elecsa) advice on the subject;

'The Suppliers and meter equipment would fall outside the scope of BS7671.

As a designer installing any equipment in external meter enclosures we would suggest a risk assessment is carried out to make a judgment of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure or similar switchgear might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building'.

Perhaps the 18th might make it clearer :)

Meter Tails; some DNO's stipulate 25mm tails. SSE policy is if you are in a Scheme, you can cut their seals, to carry out work. Why not just replace the tails with longer (25mm) ones, save on the isolator.

Thanks MW.
It turns out that SSE have a list of schemes recognised for fuse seals, and they don't currently recognise Stroma (expletive deleted). Then the meter is probably owned by someone else as well. Or am I too much a scaredy cat ?

Thanks MW.
It turns out that SSE have a list of schemes recognised for fuse seals, and they don't currently recognise Stroma (expletive deleted). Then the meter is probably owned by someone else as well. Or am I too much a scaredy cat ?

You could try ringing your local depot. Found them quite helpful once I got the right person. They'll give you temporary seals. Sure there they'll have no probs with you being in Stroma, guess they can't keep up with the amount of new 'schemes'!

Last edited:
As regards the issue of metal or plastic isolator in meter box, I asked my schemes (Elecsa) advice on the subject;

'The Suppliers and meter equipment would fall outside the scope of BS7671.

As a designer installing any equipment in external meter enclosures we would suggest a risk assessment is carried out to make a judgment of the likelihood that fire originating inside the enclosure or similar switchgear might lead to the outbreak of fire in the household building'.

Perhaps the 18th might make it clearer :)

Meter Tails; some DNO's stipulate 25mm tails. SSE policy is if you are in a Scheme, you can cut their seals, to carry out work. Why not just replace the tails with longer (25mm) ones, save on the isolator.

Whilst doing that risk assessment you might want to also consider the risk presented to DNO operatives by the presence of earthed metal parts when they are working on a live connection.

I believe this was a factor in the change from metal to plastic cutouts.

Thanks everyone for you kind replies and suggestions. I did attend the local SSE depot this morning but they stuck to the company line "Stroma is not on the list". I'm on site tomorrow and will update :)

Thanks everyone for you kind replies and suggestions. I did attend the local SSE depot this morning but they stuck to the company line "Stroma is not on the list". I'm on site tomorrow and will update :)

Bad luck. My local depot didn't have a Scooby Doo, about their policy, till they spoke to a young lady, who gave me a handful of temporary seals. I just ring up and they send me some in the post. Only ever asked for scheme ID once. You could try that depot, Yarnton, Oxon. Just don't mention the War that your with Stroma. Perhaps that's what the extra £227 is about :)

Bad luck. My local depot didn't have a Scooby Doo, about their policy, till they spoke to a young lady, who gave me a handful of temporary seals. I just ring up and they send me some in the post. Only ever asked for scheme ID once. You could try that depot, Yarnton, Oxon. Just don't mention the War that your with Stroma. Perhaps that's what the extra £227 is about :)

I have a two word update :

MIDWEST IS THE KING !!!

Ok, 3 words or whatever, but he's still KING :)

Reply to AMD 3,16mm tails and isolating sw for domestic in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net